Business 110: Business Math
About the Course
Education Portal's Business 110: Business Math course can help you earn three lower-level baccalaureate credits in business mathematics by preparing you for the DSST credit-by-examination test. This 100-question test measures your proficiency in number sense, algebraic concepts, statistics, financial mathematics and business applications, with approximately half of the test focusing on the latter. You'll have 90 minutes to complete this exam, and you must earn a score of 438 for the grade equivalent of a B or 400 for the grade equivalent of a C.
In this course, Education Portal's experienced instructors share their business math knowledge through a series of video lessons. Topics of study range from linear equations and inequalities to financial analysis, with each topic broken down into several in-depth chapters. Throughout the course, you'll be able to gauge your knowledge of business mathematics through quizzes and practice exams, which will give you an idea of the types of questions you'll face on the DSST.
|Number Sense||Solve problems using percentages, fractions, mixed numbers and decimal numbers. Compare and order fractions and decimal numbers. Change between decimals and percentages and decimals and fractions. Convert common units of measure. Use the order of operations. Understand and interpret bar graphs and pie charts.|
|Linear Equations and Inequalities||Write and graph linear equations. Solve simultaneous linear equations. Extrapolate values using a line graph. Interpolate data.|
|Graphing and Evaluating Equations and Functions||Determine the equation of a line using point-slope formula. Graph undefined slope, zero slope and 1- and 2-variable inequalities. Use the distance and midpoint formulas. Graph basic functions and functions of functions. Determine the domain and range of a function.|
|Quadratic Equations and Functions||Solve quadratics that are not in standard form. Solve quadratic equations by factoring and using the quadratic formula. Complete the square.|
|Probability and Statistics for Business Math||Calculate mean, median, mode and range. Understand standard deviation and shifts in the mean. Understand probability of simple, compound and complementary events as well as independent and dependent events. Calculate statistical significance. Calculate expected value given a probability distribution table, and compare expected value to actual results to calculate residual error. Understand probability distributions. Calculate weighted averages. Understand percentiles.|
|Depreciation/Salvage Values||Compute and record methods of depreciation. Understand depreciation for partial years and changes in estimates. Report depreciation of a plant asset on a balance sheet. Understand accelerated depreciation.|
|Interest and Purchases||Interpret index numbers. Understand common credit terms. Calculate deferred payment price vs. cash price. Calculate total interest for financing options. Calculate markups and markdowns. Calculate effective annual rates of interest given nominal rates and present and future value/balance amounts. Calculate percentage increases and decreases. Understand promissory note terms.|
|Financial Analysis||Calculate present and future values. Calculate fixed costs given two total cost/unit scenarios. Understand common financial ratios. Calculate stock EPS, stock yield and rate of return. Understand preferred stocks and bond types and terms. Calculate bond yield.|
|Business Math Applications||Calculate gross pay, net pay, taxes and time and a half. Calculate property tax. Convert amounts using exchange rate information.|
51% developed We are actively adding lessons to this course. You can study for exams and supplement your learning right now. For students preparing for an exam, we'll label this course 100% developed when it is ready to prepare you for the exam on its own.
All Videos in Number Sense
- 1. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
- 2. Solve Problems Using Percents
- 3. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
- 4. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- 5. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
- 6. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
- 7. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
- 8. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
- 9. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
- 10. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
All Videos in Linear Equations and Inequalities
All Videos in Graphing and Evaluating Equations and Functions
- 1. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
- 2. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
- 3. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
- 4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
- 5. How to Use The Distance Formula
- 6. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
- 7. Graphing Basic Functions
- 8. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
- 9. Discontinuities in Functions and Graphs
- 10. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
All Videos in Quadratic Equations and Functions
- 1. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
- 2. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
- 3. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
- 4. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
- 5. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
- 6. Completing the Square Practice Problems
- 7. How to Complete the Square
All Videos in Probability and Statistics for Business Math
Education Portal's 53 instructors bring a diverse array of experience and expertise to each course. From teaching philosophy in Athens, Greece, to exploring the mystery of genetics, each instructor is uniquely qualified to bring students the best online learning experience possible. Meet them now!
If you have a general question about Education Portal, please contact customer support.