Accredited Online Masters in English Education: Program Overviews
Accredited online master's programs in English education introduce students to advanced pedagogical methods and theories for teaching writing and literature. These programs utilize online course management systems and Web-based communication tools.
Online Master's in English Education Program Overview
Similar to campus-based programs, distance education programs in English education are developed and led by university faculty and include classes that provide students with the skills to teach writing, literature, grammar and reading. Students also explore psychological, social and cultural perspectives of education.
Materials for online English education master's programs typically are delivered both synchronously and asynchronously and may involve the use of multimedia and video conferencing applications. Thus, master's students often must meet software and hardware standards to utilize the necessary course management technology and Web-based communication tools.
Coursework for an Accredited Online Master's in English Education Program
Courses in a distance learning master's program in English education provide in-depth knowledge of written and oral communication, as well as pedagogy techniques. Students might take courses in critical reading, literacy development, writing instruction and computer-assisted learning, as well as the following classes:
- Methods for Teaching English
- Creative Writing
- Literature Analysis
- Professional Experiences
- Language Learning
Online master's in English education programs also may include faculty-led independent study or educational research, and students may be required to attend campus-based seminars. Students generally complete comprehensive oral and written exams in their final term of study.
Employment Information and Salary Outlook for English Teachers
Graduates with a master's degree in English education typically are qualified for teaching positions at high schools and community colleges or with community-based adult English education programs. In most cases, a doctoral degree is required for full-time English professorships at the university level.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expected job growth of nine percent and 15%, respectively, for secondary and postsecondary teachers between 2008 and 2018 (www.bls.gov). In May 2008, the BLS reported median wages of $51,180 for secondary teachers and $56,380 for postsecondary English language and literature teachers.
Related to Online Master Degree in English
- Recently Updated
Holding a master's degree in English provides opportunities for a career in multiple industries, including publishing,...
Special education teachers work with students who may need extra help outside the typical learning classroom. This...
The steadily increasing costs of treating chronic diseases have forced many corporations and non-profit organizations...
Computer educators teach individuals computer technology techniques and skills, ranging from using a computer for...
- Job and Career Opportunities for a Master's in Adult Education
- List of Schools with the Best English Masters Programs
- How Long Is a Master's in Early Childhood Education Program?
- Top Graduate School for a Human Resource Management Degree - Columbus, OH
- Top University with a Computer Engineering Degree - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Ranked Human Resource Management Degree - Arlington, VA
- Top Network Management College Programs - Chicago, IL
- Jobs and Salary Info for a Masters in Early Childhood Education
- Salary and Career Info for a Masters in Physical Education Degree
- 10 Free Web Tools for Students
- Top Web Design School - Chicago, IL
- Public Administration Courses: Top Ranked College with Courses and Degrees in Public Administration - Washington, DC