Agriculture PHD Program Information
Agriculture is the means by which foods and other products are created. It involves farming and cultivating land and livestock. A Ph.D. in agriculture can prepare individuals for academic and research positions.
Doctor of Philosophy in Agriculture
A Ph.D. in agriculture program is a postgraduate degree program that takes about three years to complete. Agriculture is a broad area of study, and students enrolled in a program at the doctoral level need a firm understanding of the different types of food, goods and animal production techniques used in the field. While enrolled in a doctoral program, students are typically expected to focus on one particular area of study, such as humane advancements in animal husbandry, sustainable cropping methods or biotechnology in agriculture.
Students enrolled in a Ph.D. program in agriculture are generally expected to complete a dissertation that furthers research in a particular area of agriculture. This dissertation is researched and written under the direction of a faculty advisor and submitted to an academic committee for possible publication.
The most common prerequisites for entrance into a Ph.D. in agriculture program are a baccalaureate degree and at least one Master of Science degree. Degrees need to be in a field related to agriculture, such as biological sciences, animal husbandry or agricultural science. Students should also submit a proposed plan of study and a topic for dissertation before gaining acceptance.
Although much of the coursework completed in a Ph.D. program in agriculture is done on an individual basis, some seminars are taken by all.
- Agriculture and environmental risks
- Agricultural biotechnology
- Systems agriculture
- Agribusiness management
- Integrated animal management
- Policy and trade in agribusiness
- Plant and soil relationships
- Statistics in agriculture
- Leadership and teaching
Popular Career Options
Graduates of a doctoral program in agriculture often find themselves working in teaching and research positions in the field of academia. However, other career options available are:
- Agriculture engineer
- Agriculture research scientist
- Foodstuffs marketing director
- Animal husbandry scientist
- CEO of a food company
- Agriculture communication specialist
- Agriculture production specialist
- Food scientist
- Foodstuffs commodity broker
Related to Agriculture PHD
- Recently Updated
Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs focusing specifically on sustainable agriculture are rare, but...
A Master of Business Administration (MBA) student in the field of agriculture learns the production and distribution...
A degree in agriculture, sometimes called agricultural science, can lead to many diverse careers, depending on what...
The agricultural industry offers a diverse range of career options, including in the areas of production agriculture,...
- Agriculture Teacher: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Online Bachelors Degree in Agriculture: Program Overview
- Online Agriculture (Ag) Degrees: Summaries by Level
- Top Degree Programs in Surgical Technology - Indianapolis, IN
- Top Business School for a Sales and Marketing Degree - Chicago, IL
- Top University for a Degree in Public Administration - Henderson, NV
- Top Bachelor Degree Programs in Computer Programming - Chicago, IL
- Online Agriculture (Ag) Courses and Classes Overview
- Online Schooling to Become an Agriculture Science Teacher: What's Required?
- Best School with Project Management Degree Programs - Dallas, TX
- Best Business Degree Programs - Arlington, VA
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Health Care Administration - Bakersfield, CA