Agriculture Schools, Colleges and Universities in the U.S.
Agriculture schools educate students who are interested in careers in farming and related services. These may involve plant cultivation, dealing with animals or business and economics. There are many agriculture schools in the United States.
How to Select an Agriculture School
The best schools of agriculture are those that separate the subject into its own school separate from the rest of the university. This assures the student will have his or her choice of specializations within agriculture, as well as a variety of professors from which to learn. Specializations at agriculture schools should include agronomy, horticulture, agriscience technology, agriculture education, agribusiness economics and animal sciences, like equine science and veterinary technology.
Amongst these specializations, the student should have a variety of classes from which to choose. Some key courses agriculture schools should offer include animal science, plant science, agricultural computer software, animal anatomy, agriculture safety, public policy and classes devoted to strict research in these areas. The school should also offer agriculture-based student organizations. These may include an equestrian team, a horticulture club, an agribusiness club, and several leadership organizations for students of agriculture, like Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Tau Alpha and Sigma Alpha.
Along with these majors and classes, the school should feature state-of-the-art facilities, including a computer lab with business-standard hardware and software, an animal health facility, at least one farm center and a rodeo barn.
Schools by Overall Student Enrollment
|College/University||Student Population||Institution Type|
|Arizona State University||67,082||4-year, Public|
|Miami Dade College||57,222||4-year, primarily associate's, Public|
|Ohio State University-Main Campus||53,715||4-year, Public|
|University of Florida||51,474||4-year, Public|
|University of Minnesota-Twin Cities||51,140||4-year, Public|
|Houston Community College System||48,169||2-year, Public|
|Texas A & M University||48,039||4-year, Public|
|Michigan State University||46,510||4-year, Public|
|Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus||44,406||4-year, Public|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||43,246||4-year, Public|
|Northern Virginia Community College||42,663||2-year, Public|
|University of Wisconsin-Madison||41,620||4-year, Public|
|Purdue University-Main Campus||41,433||4-year, Public|
|College of Southern Nevada||40,310||4-year, primarily associate's, Public|
|Tarrant County College District||39,596||2-year, Public|
|University of California-Los Angeles||38,220||4-year, Public|
|University of Arizona||38,057||4-year, Public|
|University of Maryland-College Park||37,000||4-year, Public|
|Rutgers University-New Brunswick||36,041||4-year, Public|
|Temple University||35,490||4-year, Public|
Related to Agriculture School
- Recently Updated
Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs focusing specifically on sustainable agriculture are rare, but programs in...
Learn about the curriculum and requirements for a Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Agriculture degree program. Find...
Numerous universities and colleges offer online agriculture programs to accommodate working professionals or those seeking a...
Read about bachelor's degree programs in general architecture. Find out about potential coursework, employment prospects after...
- Agriculture Teacher: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Online Bachelors Degree in Agriculture: Program Overview
- Online Agriculture (Ag) Degrees: Summaries by Level
- Radiology Assistant: Education Needed to Start a Career in Radiology
- Marine Scientist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Certified Retirement Specialist: Requirements & Career Info
- Referral Coordinator: Job Description, Requirements and Career Info
- Online Agriculture (Ag) Courses and Classes Overview
- Online Agriculture Science Teacher Schooling Requirements
- Top Ranked Legal Assisting and Paralegal School - Cleveland, OH
- Top Health Information Technology Degree Program - Columbus, OH
- Medical Interpreter: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Quality Control Technician Job Description and Info About a Career in Quality Control Technology
- Distance Learning Master Behavior Science Degree
- Dont Pay for Technology 25 Freebies for Students
- Drug Counselor Job Duties and Information for Those Interested in Helping People with Addiction of Drugs and Alcohol