10 Sources for Free Online Music Courses
See our list of the top free online music courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that is right for you.
Premium Music Courses
If you're looking for a high-quality course that covers both music theory and history, consider Education Portal's Music 101: Intro to Music. For a low monthly subscription, you can take a self-paced course packed with fun and engaging video lessons and quizzes.
Education Portal has two options for students interested in music:
- Music 101: Intro to Music: Covers music theory and history
- Humanities 101: Intro to the Humanities: Covers music theory and history as well as other topics in art and literature
Your subscription lets you take both courses as well as any other course in our catalog. Start a free trial to try it today. Click here to see the full catalog of courses and get started.
Free Online Music Courses
These free music courses require no tuition payments or registration. In order to take full advantage of the courses, users may need specific software applications to access video and audio offerings. Quality speakers or headphones may be beneficial when listening to music clips and samples.
This 12-video instructional series in Exploring the World of Music is appropriate for high school through adult students, as well as teachers. By watching half-hour videos, students examine topics like sound and environment, learning music, melody, harmony and music memory, as well as music composers and technology. Related print and audio/video media are also available for a fee.
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
Voice students learn the importance of posture, breathing, warming up, clear enunciation/articulation and frequent practice while investigating the videos on the Learn to Sing site. Learners may also access a 6-video tutorial for breathing exercises and fine-tuning strategies. The lessons include exercises and demonstrational videos.
Children's Music Workshop
The Online Music Theory Game offers aspiring musicians a variety of lessons and trainers on multiple instruments. The lessons examine sheet music and provide video instructions in areas such as note duration, major and minor scales, key signatures and meter.
Courtney Brown, Ph.D., presents 23 lessons covering such topics as patriotic music, protest music and labor music in this course. Students may view the podcasts through iTunes to learn how music transmits political ideas and possibly leads to political transformation.
In 6 lectures that span more than 11 hours, the composer Leonard Bernstein discusses musical topics such as syntax, semantics and phonology, in addition to what he called 'the crisis of the 20th century'. Learners may view the videos through iTunes or YouTube. Interested parties may also purchase these lectures in DVD or print format on Amazon.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Introduction to Music Composition is an undergraduate course that broaches topics such as classical music of various cultures, jazz, graphing sound, timbre, electronic music and rhythm. While studying Music and Technology, undergraduate students will examine the aesthetics and history of music and technology during the last several centuries. Select video lectures and audio music clips are available.
Graduate students, or those with backgrounds in composition, may want to take advantage of the Music Composition course. Composition projects in melodic writing, counterpoint, melody/accompaniment, timbre/rhythm and variable texture are the focus. In each of these courses, students complete reading and listening activities, some of which have available links, although users must locate most readings independently.
Beginning music students will learn about topics such as clefs, rhythmic meter, pitch values and time signatures in the 8-hour An Introduction to Music Theory course. The advanced, 20-hour course, Voice-Leading Analysis of Music 1: The Foreground, is the 1st in a 3-part series. Music students learn about the Schenkerian analysis method, also known as voice-leading analysis, through examples of audio clips from Mozart piano sonatas.
University of California - Irvine
Students attempting this 9-part course will want to have basic math skills, and an understanding of basic musical terms and notations will be beneficial. Learners will investigate tonal systems and the math concepts used in scales and chords. Lessons are in video format and may be viewed full-screen.
The 23 lectures in this course employ print, audio and video. Students will practice aural skills in an effort to understand Western music more efficiently, examine how composers put music together and listen to a variety of styles. The composers studied include Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Elton John and Bocelli.
Online Courses for Credit
You can earn quick and affordable college credit for over 30 courses and cut the cost of your degree in half by over 50%. Choose a course below to try it out for free today.
- History 101: Western Civilization I
- History 102: Western Civilization II
- History 103: US History I
- History 104: US History II
- Biology 101: Intro to Biology
- Biology 103: Microbiology
- Biology 105: Anatomy & Physiology
- Biology 106: Pathophysiology
- Earth Science 101: Earth Science
- Environmental Science 101: Environment and Humanity
- Science 101: Intro to Natural Sciences
- Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology
- Psychology 102: Educational Psychology
- Psychology 103: Human Growth and Development
- Psychology 104: Social Psychology
- Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology
- Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology
- Business 100: Intro to Business
- Business 101: Principles of Management
- Business 102: Principles of Marketing
- Business 103: Introductory Business Law
- Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications
- Business 107: Organizational Behavior
- Business 109: Intro to Computing
- Business 111: Principles of Supervision
Related to 10 Sources for Free Online Music Courses
- Recently Updated
For the past three months, Education-Portal.com's Education Insider has been tracking the experience of a semi-professional...
Education Insider talks a lot about OpenCourseWare (OCW), so maybe it's time we put some to the test. Thus, over ten weeks this...
Education Insider talks a lot about OpenCourseWare (OCW), so maybe it's time we put some to the test. So it is that over ten...
Education Insider talks a lot about OpenCourseWare (OCW), so maybe it's time we put some to the test. So, over ten weeks this...
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 6: Pythagorean Tuning and the Pure Triad
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 5: Building a Diatonic Set
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 4: Circular Pitch Systems and the Triad
- Top School in Cincinnati for an Administrative Assisting Degree
- Top University in Philadelphia for a Criminal Justice Degree
- Top CAD Drafting and Architectural Design School - Madison, WI
- Top Nursing University - Honolulu, HI