5 Resources for Free Reading and Adult Literacy Education Online
See our list of the top free online resources for reading and adult literacy. Learn about what courses are available, what topics they cover and whether you can use them to get college credit.
Online Reading Education for Credit
Online reading education that's free won't provide college credit. Education Portal lessons have a low fee, but many of them can lead to credit. These online reading classes are designed to help you earn college credit by examination or pass the GED.
- The GED Reading course provides practice with fiction, drama and nonfiction.
- With Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, you'll learn strategies for understanding what you read. Chapters in this course include interpreting literature and literary terms.
- Our English Literature course uses fun video lessons to present classic literature from great authors like Shakespeare and Charles Dickens.
Free Online Reading and Adult Literacy Course Info and Requirements
Students looking for online reading and adult literacy courses will find programs that make use of lesson plans, video lectures, slide shows and readings, which are aimed at improving a student's reading and speaking skills. While the courses are free of charge, students may be required to purchase reading materials. These free online courses typically don't provide students with grades or credits.
Free Online Reading and Adult Literacy Resources
Exploring the English Language at The Open University
This course focuses on the English language and developments that occurred throughout that languages history. For example, students look at linguistic and grammatical properties of language. Course activities challenge students to recognize nouns, verbs and adjectives in sentences and match words with their definitions. The course includes downloadable video content and text documents as well.
Listening, Speaking and Pronunciation at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
This particular course is designed for high and intermediate-level ESL students. The course aims to make these students more comfortable with English expressions, idioms and gambits. Students can explore video lectures in areas such as sentence stress, rhythms and prominence, which are downloadable. The school also offers study materials that examine connected speech, compounds, intonation, vowels and positional variation.
Reading at The Open University
This course helps students build skills for both leisurely reading and academic reading. Students in this course build their skills through a series of lectures and practical activities in areas such as skimming, speed-reading and active reading. The course uses online learning tools such as knowledge maps and learning clubs. The eight-hour program consists of six lessons.
Recognizing the Main Idea at ProLiterary Education Network
This free course is designed to help readers identify a foundational part of any type of literature: the main idea. Students participating in this activity read a series of interactive paragraphs. They are then asked to identify the author's main idea in each example. This course presents each example in both text and audio formats.
Understanding What You Read at TV411
TV411 offers a series of videos about reading designed to help adult students learn language and communication skills. There are an array of video lessons that cover topics like reading newspapers, reading poems, summarizing and even reading medicine labels. TV411 also features web lessons on scanning for specifics, reading the fine print and using context clues. Print downloads are also available.
Related to 5 Resources for Free Reading and Adult Literacy Education Online
- Recently Updated
The Student Coalition for Action in Literacy Education (SCALE), based at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,...
A master's degree program in literacy education can teach students how to develop teaching models and lesson plans, as well as...
Worried about growing student debt, many college campuses have started offering financial literacy classes, but few have...
Reading is an important part of lifelong learning, and some students in Pima County, Arizona are developing this necessary...
- Promoting Child Literacy: Education-Portal Speaks With the Carleton Caldecott Club
- Computer Literacy in the Workforce
- April Is National Financial Literacy Month
- ER Doctor Requirements: Info for Aspiring Emergency Room Doctors
- Job Description of a Food Server
- Plant General Manager: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Career Information for a Degree in Software Engineering
- Building Libraries, Developing Minds: Education-Portal Speaks With the Riecken Foundation
- Braille Transcriber: Job Description, Salary and Requirements
- Business Systems Analyst: Job Description and Requirements
- Certified Accounting Technician: Salary, Requirements and Duties
- Research Assistant: Career Profile