Top University in Baltimore for Accounting Degrees
Students interested in studying accounting in the Baltimore area have many schools to choose from. Read about the top local schools' degree programs, tuition, and ranking info to find the right one for you.
School and Ranking Information
There are several schools that offer accounting programs in the Baltimore area. The following schools are considered the top three based on tuition, school rankings and total number of degrees awarded in accounting:
- Winner: Loyola University in Baltimore is in first place for its multiple national rankings from U.S. News & World Report. This school is also the only one of the three located right in Baltimore.
- Runner Up #1: The University of Maryland, located in College Park, awarded the most degrees in this field among area schools and has a ranked undergraduate accounting program.
- Runner Up #2: Towson University in nearby Towson comes in third place for its low tuition rates and multiple degree options in the field.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Loyola University Maryland||University of Maryland - College Park||Towson University|
|Rankings|| Graduate accounting program ranked #29 in 2013*, |
Part-time MBA program ranked #89 in 2013*,
Undergraduate business program ranked #117 in 2012*
| Undergraduate business program ranked #21 in 2012*, |
Graduate business program ranked #37 in 2013*
| Online graduate business program ranked #58 in 2013*, |
Undergraduate business program ranked #309 in 2012*
|Location||Baltimore, MD||College Park, MD (23.9 miles from Baltimore)||Towson, MD (12.0 miles from Baltimore)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees in 2012-2013|| $42,430 (undergraduate) |
| $8,908 (undergraduate, in-state) |
$27,287 (undergraduate, out-of-state)
$11,331 (graduate, in-state)
$22,797 (graduate, out-of-state)**
| $8,132 (undergraduate, in-state) |
$19,754 (undergraduate, out-of-state)
$8,154 (graduate, in-state)
$15,102 (graduate, out-of-state)**
|Accounting Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees***||Bachelor's and master's degrees***||Bachelor's and master's degrees***|
|Accounting Degrees Awarded in 2011-2012||60 (number of master's degrees with an accounting concentration not reported)**||315**||156**|
|Most Popular Accounting Program in 2011-2012||Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting (60 awarded)**||Bachelor of Science in Accounting (315 awarded)**||Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Accounting (140 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||84%**||82%**||66%**|
|Noteworthy||Offered the first MBA program in the Baltimore region***||Undergraduate accounting program ranked #7 in a recruiter survey in The Wall Street Journal in 2010***||Largest comprehensive university in Baltimore area***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Schools' websites.
Winner: Loyola University Maryland
- Ranked #2 among regional universities in the North in 2013, according to U.S. News and World Report
- Accredited in accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International
- Students can become members of Beta Alpha Psi, an accounting fraternity, and Beta Gamma Sigma, the AACSB honor society
Loyola University Maryland (LUM) offers a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree with a major in accounting. Students in this program must take seven advanced accounting courses, which include cost accounting, auditing, and accounting information systems. Students who would like to be eligible to take the CPA exam can enter the five-year program, which allows them to earn a total of 150 credits and an MBA degree in the fifth year by completing as few as 11 courses.
There is also a 33-credit MBA program designed for students who have earned an undergraduate major in a non-business field and a 53-credit-hour Emerging Leaders MBA (ELMBA) program. The 33-credit program offers a concentration in accounting. Students can also enter the graduate Accounting Certificate Program, an 11-week, 12-credit (which is counted as 18 credits in Maryland) program.
Runner-Up #1: University of Maryland - College Park
- Ranked #58 among national universities in 2013, according to U.S. News and World Report
- Students can become members of the Accounting and Business Association
- Business students may complete an internship for credit
The University of Maryland - College Park (UMD) offers a Bachelor of Science in Accounting, which is a 120-credit program. Students in this program must complete courses in managerial accounting, accounting systems, and ethics and professionalism in accounting. To meet the 150-credit CPA requirement, students can complete a double major, and any credits earned from the second major can be used toward this requirement.
Students may also earn a Master of Science (MS) in Accounting, which can be completed in 12 months for full-time students and 15 months for part-time students. Students in this program must complete 24 credit hours, and the curriculum includes courses in business ethics, business communication, and forensic accounting. Tracks offered for MS students include general accounting and internal auditing.
Runner-Up #2: Towson University
- Ranked #44 among regional universities in the North in 2013, according to U.S. News and World Report
- Accredited in accounting by AACSB International
- Students can become members of Accounting Club, the National Association of Black Accountants, and Beta Alpha Psi
- Students in the College of Business and Economics completed 597 internships in 2012-2013
Towson University offers both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science in Accounting. Accounting majors must complete business and accounting courses that include economics, operations management, business strategy and policy, accounting information systems, and auditing. They also complete 27 credits of advanced accounting courses.
Students can meet the CPA credit requirement by entering the bachelor's/master's five-year program, which allows students to earn an MS in Accounting and Business Advisory Systems. Students in this program earn 114 undergraduate credits and 30 hours of graduate credits (which count as 45 credits in Maryland). Master's students take courses in financial management, information technology, assurance services, and accounting systems.
Related to Top University in Baltimore for Accounting Degrees
- Recently Updated
An accounting diploma may appeal to individuals who enjoy mathematics and want to enter the workforce soon. Explore some of the...
Certified accounting technicians assist accountants and perform many of the same tasks. They often rely heavily on accounting...
Learn how to become an accounting technician. Research the job description and education requirements, and find out how to...
Computerized accounting specialists may hold one of a variety of titles. Continue reading for an overview of possible training...
- Forensic Accounting Career Information and Education Requirements
- Accounting Administrator Salary and Career Information
- 8 Colleges and Universities Offering Free Accounting Courses Online
- Top School in Baltimore for Travel Agent Training
- Office Assistant: Education for a Career in Office Assisting
- Online Art Bachelors Degree Program Information
- Top College in Virginia Beach for HVAC Technician Training
Perfect School Search
- Maryland Cities
- Nearby States