Accounting Information Systems Security Education and Training Programs
Explore degree program options for those who want to learn about accounting information systems security. Discover the prerequisites for admission to relevant bachelor's and master's degree programs, and review a list of potential career paths.
Students wishing to work as accountants within the information technology (IT) field may earn bachelor's or master's degrees in accounting information systems (AIS). These programs provide a comprehensive overview of basic accounting practices and procedures, as well proficiency in contemporary accounting operating systems software.
Students of bachelor's programs will study core accounting and finance courses, along with general education and business administration subjects. The master's programs introduce advanced accounting information systems courses and encourage students to gain practical experience. The educational prerequisites vary according to the program level.
Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting Information Systems Program Overview
One options for a formal education in AIS is a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Accounting Information Systems program. It includes informative lectures and class discussions that give students a comprehensive overview of the basic principles of accounting and finance. Students also receive extensive technical training and practice in modern technologies and information systems used in accounting.
Applicants are expected to have a high school diploma or the equivalent. Students may also be evaluated based on letters of recommendation, academic achievement and scores on standardized tests, such as the ACT or SAT.
The curriculum in this BBA program combines general educational requirements in the humanities, arts and social sciences with introductory and advanced courses covering essential topics in accounting information systems. Course topics may include the following:
- Statistical analysis
- Accounting principles
- Accounting information systems
- Finance management theories
- Data communication in business
Popular Career Options
Graduates of a bachelor's degree program in accounting information systems have the basic skills and knowledge necessary to pursue a number of career paths in business, accounting, sales or education. Some possible career paths are:
- Financial auditor
- Accounting systems coordinator
- Tax systems manager
- Quality assurance manager
- Financial systems analyst
- Certified public accountant
There are many certification options relevant for graduates of an AIS bachelor's degree program, including the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP). The CPA designation is required for accountants who file reports or documents with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Requirements to become a CPA vary by state but typically include a bachelor's degree, work experience and passing an exam. The CITP is for current CPAs who work specifically in information systems and technology.
Master of Science in Accounting Information Systems Program Overview
A Master of Science in Accounting Information Systems is considered the terminal degree in this field. Students continue study of fundamental topics learned at the undergraduate level, while studying new and advanced topic in accounting information systems. Programs take a practical, hands-on approach to application of learned principles. Lectures and coursework reinforce the necessary knowledge and skills needed for the aspiring professional. The goal of a master's degree program is to help students acquire additional education in accounting information systems and prepare them for managerial positions in the industry. Some programs also prepare students to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam.
A bachelor's degree is the bare minimum education requirement necessary for acceptance into this master's degree program; some colleges require this degree to be in accounting or business. Colleges and universities also take into consideration other factors, such as letters of reference, scores on the GMAT examination and any applicable professional experience.
Graduate degree programs in AIS allow for focused, in-depth study specifically in the area of accounting and information technology systems. Programs typically last 1-2 years and involve practical experience along with courses in a variety of topics, such as:
- Advanced accounting information systems
- Accounting database design
- Corporate taxation
- Ethical issues in accounting
- Advanced IT auditing
- IT acquisitions
- Accounting research
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
According to the U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), an increased emphasis on financial accountability after recent corporate scandals and crises will contribute to a projected 16% growth in employment for all accountants and auditors from 2010-2020. The annual median salary for all accountants and auditors, including those focusing on AIS, is $63,550 as of May 2012, according to the BLS.
Related to Accounting Information Systems Security Education and Training Programs
- Recently Updated
Accounting Information Systems (AIS) professionals join their knowledge of business and accounting processes with computer...
Find detailed information about degree and certificate programs in information systems security. Read about admission...
The Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) credential is a globally recognized standard for information...
Research the requirements to become an information systems security engineer. Learn about the job description and read the...
- Bachelor of Information Systems Security: Degree Overview
- Online Information Systems Security Degrees by Program Level
- Top School in Newport News, VA, for an Information Systems Security Degree
- Bachelor of Networking Technology: Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA): E-Business Degree Overview
- List of Top Schools for a Bachelor of Marketing Degree
- Master of Management: Information Systems Security Degree Overview
- Top Ranked Information Systems Security Degree Program - Long Beach, CA
- Top Ranked Information Systems Security Degree Program - Columbia, SC
- Bachelor's in Networking & Security Technology: Degree Overview
- Media Production Degree, Certificate and Training Programs
- Top E-Commerce Degree Programs - Phoenix, AZ
- County Juvenile Authorities Job Information for a Those Considering a Career in the County Juvenile Authorities
- Refrigeration and Cooling Technician Job Duties and Requirements for a Career in Refrigeration and Cooling Technology
- Personal Training Certification Schools in Atlanta GA
- Dentists Job Duties and Requirements for Becoming a General Dentist