Advantages and Disadvantages of Becoming a Doctor
Many advantages and disadvantages come with being a doctor. This article cites some of the career's most notable rewards and challenges, including income, prestige, helping others, job-related stress, long work hours and legal challenges.
What are Advantages and Disadvantages of Becoming a Doctor?
Doctors enjoy many perks in their profession. The benefits below highlight some of the advantages that come with being a doctor.
Many doctors find it rewarding to help improve or save the lives of others. Getting respect for their work and contributions in the community is yet another benefit for doctors, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Salary, which varies according to experience, specialty and setting, is also an advantage for physicians. Most physicians enjoy above-average earnings. For example, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, family and general practitioners earned median salaries of $172,020 in 2012.
A study conducted in 2002 by the American Medical Association showed that physician satisfaction varied by specialty; however, in general, about 42% of physicians showed satisfaction with their career. Other factors that contribute to personal satisfaction may include research and training opportunities and the freedom to provide quality healthcare.
While being a doctor definitely has its advantages, the profession proves challenging as well. The following factors are just some of the potential disadvantages that come with the job.
Doctors often cite long training periods in medical school and the high tuition costs associated with it as a disadvantage. Time remains an issue even after earning a medical degree, since physicians often work long hours and don't have as much time to spend with family and friends as they'd like.
Just as saving lives can be rewarding, the responsibilities that come with being a doctor can be stressful, such as making a mistake, losing a patient or fearing the loss of one. According to a 2002 article appearing on the National Center for Biotechnology Information website, 73% of junior doctors on cardiac arrest teams found cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) stressful.
Individuals surveyed note that stress was due largely to unfortunate outcomes. Other issues included the failure of senior staff to give 'Do Not Resuscitate' orders for applicable patients, no advanced life support training prior to performing CPR or simply just having to perform the procedure. Doctors also reported that they sometimes find it difficult to discuss CPR with patients and their families.
Medical malpractice suits are another disadvantage. As reported by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, nearly 2,500 medical malpractice cases were handled in general jurisdiction courts in 2005. Although plaintiffs won less than one-fourth of the cases, medical malpractice suits can still sully a doctor's reputation.
Related to Advantages and Disadvantages of Becoming a Doctor
- Recently Updated
Learn about non-professional general legal studies programs, which are broad and interdisciplinary examinations of law as a...
Learn about associate degree programs in legal administration. Find out about admission requirements, course topics addressed,...
Read about the curriculum and requirements of a diploma program in legal assisting. Get information on careers and employment,...
Research legal office administration programs that are similar to the Associate of Occupational Studies. Discover common core...
- Associate of Legal Administration: Degree Overview
- Legal Secretary Certificate: Certificate Overview
- Legal Office Support Certificate Program Information
- Management Studies Degree Program Options
- Stock Broker Certification and Certificate Program Information
- Bachelor's in Land Surveying: Overview of 4-Year Degree Programs
- Contract Specialist Degree Program Information
- Jobs in Legal Billing: Career Information and Requirements
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Legal Assisting
- Radiologic Science Bachelor's Degree Program Overview
- Post-Bachelor's Teaching Certification and Certificate Information
- Bachelors Degrees for Aspiring Chefs: Degree Program Options
- Distance Learning Biology Degree Program
- Environmental Health Administrator Employment Info and Requirements for a Career in Environmental Health Admin
- Roofer Employment Info and Requirements for Becoming a Professional Roofer
- Building Code Official Job Duties and Requirements for Becoming a Building Code Official