Animal Holistic Health Degree and Training Program Options
Read about a training program focusing on animal holistic health. Find out what one needs to enroll and what courses are typically offered in the curriculum. Get details about career options and employment information for veterinarians.
Animal holistic health is a form of veterinary medicine that utilizes a complete picture of an animal's behavior, environment, nutrition, lifestyle and disease patterns in order to fully evaluate and diagnose a treatment. Animal holistic medicinal practices focus on using minimally invasive and gentle techniques by taking the least harmful path. By addressing all possible sources of causation, an animal may have a better chance at long lasting recovery. Treatment in animal holistic health may be combined with aspects of traditional Western medicine, such as surgery and drug therapy, in addition to holistic treatments that provide complementary healing.
At this time, there are no degree programs available in animal holistic health; however, certificate programs are available in holistic and homeopathic specialties, including acupuncture, homeopathy and nutrition. Commonly, certificate programs and seminars are available through The American Holistic Veterinary Medicine Association (AHVMA) and The Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy. Certificate programs in animal homeopathy must be approved by the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy, must meet accrediting guidelines and have a 6 month minimum time line. Certificates are available for veterinarians and other professionals who work with animals looking to further specialize their practice.
Animal holistic health training programs are primarily geared towards veterinarians who already have their doctorate degree in veterinary medicine. Veterinarians typically graduate with a bachelor's degree in biology or zoology before going on to train at an accredited school of veterinary medicine.
After completing a doctorate degree, a graduate may choose to earn a certificate in animal holistic health with an emphasis in a certain specialty, such as acupuncture, veterinary homeopathy, animal nutrition or physical therapy.
Other certificate programs in animal holistic health, depending on the specialty, are typically offered as summer seminars or as self-paced programs on weekends and after hours. Some common courses that may be offered are:
- Common animal ailments
- Alternative animal therapies using the principle of resonance
- Influences of nutrition on animal behavior
- Allergies in pets
- Usages of homeopathic medicines
- Veterinary herbal medicine
- Introduction to small animal osteopathy
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, (www.bls.gov), veterinary practice is projected to grow by 12% in overall employment between 2012 and 2022, the average for all occupations. In addition, as of May 2013, the median average salary for a veterinarian was $86,640.
A variety of options exist for veterinarians or zoologists who desire to specialize in the holistic and homeopathic sciences. Some possible career alternatives include:
- Holistic veterinarian
- Physical therapist
- Animal nutritionist
- Animal chiropractor
Related to Animal Holistic Health Degree and Training Program Options
- Recently Updated
A holistic health counselor encourages patients to actively participate in their healthcare and wellness. The counselor...
Learn about online programs for aspiring holistic health practitioners. Get information on requirements, courses, careers and...
An individual interested in enrolling in a holistic health practitioner certificate program can find similar or identical...
Learn about degree programs for the holistic health nurse practitioner. Continue reading for educational prerequisites, program...
- Bachelor of Science in Holistic Health: Program Overview
- Holistic Health Educator: Job Description, Salary and Requirements
- How to Become a Holistic Health Practitioner: Education & Career Info
- Accounting MBA: Top School with an Accounting MBA Program - Spokane, WA
- Top School in Colorado Springs for Teacher Education
- Top School in New York City for a Marketing Management Degree
- Top Colorado Springs Computer Technology Management Programs
- Holistic Health Counselor Certification and Degree Program Info
- Animal Science: Overview for Becoming an Animal Health Technician
- General Surgeon: Education Requirements and Career Information
- Salary and Career Info for Computer Network Management Professionals
- Sports Teacher: Job Description, Duties and Requirements