Armed Bodyguard: Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career As an Armed Bodyguard
You've seen them in movies, and with proper training, you, too, can become an Armed Bodyguard. A career as an Armed Bodyguard requires training and experience, but not any formal education.
What is an Armed Bodyguard?
An Armed Bodyguard is a personal security officer who protects clients from such threats as assault, kidnapping and stalking. Armed Bodyguards protect defensively by assessing threats, planning routes and searching cars and buildings; however, Armed Bodyguards must be prepared to use force if necessary. Oftentimes, Armed Bodyguards also act as drivers for their clients.
How to Become An Armed Bodyguard
Education Required for a Career as an Armed Bodyguard
Training for Armed Bodyguards is offered through private security companies and includes classes in unarmed combat, threat assessment and first aid. In order to carry a weapon, a firearms permit must be obtained. Although no formal education is required for Armed Bodyguards, a college degree or courses in criminal justice are considered a plus.
Required Skills for Armed Bodyguards
Many Armed Bodyguards worked previously as members of police departments or other security forces. This experience is the most important skill an Armed Bodyguard can have. Armed Bodyguards must have excellent vision and hearing and be in top physical shape. They also should be able to stay focused despite working long hours.
Career Opportunities for Armed Bodyguards
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov), careers in fields related to Armed Bodyguarding are expected to increase 18% by 2016 as a result of increased security and privacy concerns. However, the BLS cautions that competition for Armed Bodyguard jobs is expected to be high due to the attractive nature of the work. Payscale.com (www.payscale.com) lists the median annual salary for Armed Bodyguards as $48,454, although they can earn up to $100,000 per year depending on experience and location.
Related to Armed Bodyguard: Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career As an Armed Bodyguard
- Recently Updated
Certificates in executive and personal protection introduce students to a bodyguard's role in the protection of a...
Professional bodyguards work in the private sector of law enforcement safeguarding. While on the job they could be...
Individuals interested in protecting property and people may be interested in a career in private security. The type...
A college job may seem like a simple means to an end, a way to cover your bills and school expenses while you make...
- Jobs in Disaster Recovery: Career Information and Requirements
- How Applying for College Is Different Than Applying for a Job
- Which College Majors Will Guarantee You a Job After Graduation?
- Top School for a Multimedia and Graphic Design - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top School for a Public Administration Degree - Fremont, CA
- Top University with a Bachelor of Psychology Degree - Colorado Springs, CO
- Best School for Learning HVAC Technology - Denver, CO
- Get a Part-Time Job in College - Even if You Don't Need the Cash
- 10 Things College Seniors Should Do Before Starting Your Job Search
- Top University for Becoming a Teacher - Jacksonville, FL
- Top University with an Interior Design Degree Program - Cincinnati, OH
- Top Ranked Public Administration Degree Program - San Francisco, CA