Assisted Living Administrator: Coursework Overview
An education in assisted living administration can prepare students for entry-level managerial careers in assisted living and other senior housing facilities. Program options include undergraduate degrees and certificate programs. In addition to educational program requirements, students seeking employment as assisted living administrators may need to complete additional work and requirements in order to pass a state examination.
List of Common Courses
Assisted Living Management Course
This is an overview course of the assisted living industry within the broader senior housing community and long-term care industry. The course includes a review of assisted living services, operations management, group living models and administrative requirements. Budgeting, human resources management and communication practices are also covered topics. Some programs may also include an introduction to gerontology and resident care.
Financial Management in Long-Term Care Course
Coursework is typically geared towards the non-finance manager and provides a basic understanding of financial management in the long-term care environment. Accounting principles such as payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, balance sheets and financial reporting are reviewed. Additional topics may include cost control, budgeting and an examination of the industry's regulatory environment.
Public Health Policies in Long-Term Care Course
Public health policies for long-term care facilities are discussed, including standards of care for the prevention of diseases and infection control. State and local regulations, laws and policies relating to public health, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines are presented.
Patient Care Course
This course covers the delivery of health care and mental health services to the elderly, as well as the social, physical and psychological impacts that can typically occur after the change to a long-term care residential facility. Coursework may include discussion of aged diseases, sensory and motor loss, and end of life concerns.
Residential and health-care service delivery to the elderly is a key focus in an introductory course in gerontology, as are the topics of loss of independence, family isolation, hospice and death. The occupational challenges of working with and communicating to the elderly, their family members and care providers are addressed. Some courses may include discussion on alternative approaches to end-of-life services, looked at from an ethics, social, financial and political point of view.
Information Systems in Long-Term Care Course
Basic information management principles are discussed within the context of the long-term care industry, including billing systems, communication tools, data security and privacy concerns. This course focuses not on technology use, but on how an administrator can utilize information in order to improve decision making.
Related to Assisted Living Administrator: Coursework Overview
- Recently Updated
Learn how to become a city administrator. Research the education, training and experience you will need to start a...
A county administrator is a paid, non-elected government official that supervises the day-to-day operations of a...
A court administrator manages the daily operations of a federal, state or local courthouse. Their typical job duties...
Learn how to become a legal administrator. Research the education requirements, training and experience you will need...
- LAN Administrator: Job Outlook and Career Information for Becoming a LAN Administrator
- Alcoholic Treatment Center Administrator: Career Information for Those Interested in Working at a Residential Alcohol Treatment Center
- Certified Assisted Living Administrator: Job Description and Requirements
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Construction Management - Arlington, VA
- Best School for Biomedical Engineering Technology Degrees - Columbus, OH
- Top University with an Information Technology Degree - Kansas City, MO
- Top Ranked School for a Project Management Degree - Chicago, IL
- Social Service Administrator: Employment Info for Recent Graduates Pursuing a Career in Social Service Administration
- Community Development Administrator: Job Description for Starting a Career in Community Development Administration
- Top Ranked School for Teacher Education and School Administration - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Ranked University with a Nursing Degree Program - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Ranked Information Systems Security Degree Program - Long Beach, CA