Associate Degree in English: Program Information
Those interested in English, literature and writing may consider earning an associate degree in English. English associate's degree programs are typically 2-year programs offered through community and junior colleges.
Associate's Degree in English
An associate degree in English includes courses in communications, fine arts and humanities. Students may also be required to complete general education courses in math, life sciences, physical sciences and social sciences. Applicants need to possess a minimum of a high school education or GED equivalent. Potential students are also required to submit high school transcripts, and possibly SAT and ACT scores.
Typical programs include core courses and electives. Students may be required to complete a foreign language course to meet program requirements as well. Along with taking the required core courses, students may choose to explore and study areas of drama, literature and Shakespeare. Students may also study:
- Advanced reading
- American, English and world literature
- Contemporary and dramatic literature
- Critical thinking
- Fiction and science fiction
- Poetry and creative writing
Popular Career Options
Career opportunities exist in business, communications, education, government and civic organizations. Those who are planning their trade around their degree in English may wish to pursue careers in areas such as:
- Editing or writing
- Interpretation and translation
- Public relations
- Banking operations
- Retail management
Continuing Education Information
Graduates with an associate degree may wish to further their education by enrolling in a bachelor's degree program. The Associate of Arts in English degree program provides a strong basis and foundation for those who want to pursue an English baccalaureate degree program. Students may transfer their credits and enroll as a junior at most colleges and universities. A bachelor's degree will open up more career opportunities and may be required for many entry-level positions.
Bachelor degree graduates may even further their education by applying to a master's degree program. A master's degree furthers students' knowledge and is obtainable after approximately three years of full-time study.
Related to Associate Degree in English: Program Information
- Recently Updated
Dr. Pancho Savery is an English professor at Reed College, a small liberal arts school in Portland, Oregon. Dr. Savery...
Private language schools and English language university departments present options for students looking to study...
Through a study of the changing English language, students learn to recognize the shift from Elizabethan English to...
Would you like to have fascinating encounters with other cultures every day, or perhaps even live and work in another...
- Best Universities for Pre-Med Students: List of Top Schools
- People's Choice Nominees: Best Open Education Resource
- Hospital Interpreter: Certification and Career Roadmap
- Top Ranked School for E-Commerce and E-Business Management - Bakersfield, CA
- Top Ranked School for Teacher Education and School Administration - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Ranked Master's Degree Program for Health Care Management - Houston, TX
- Top Ranked University for a Business Administration Degree - Los Angeles, CA
- Improve Your Teaching: 10 Best Blogs for Teachers
- Sign Language Interpreter: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Ranked International Business and Global Economics Degree Programs - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Ranked School for International Business - Chicago, IL
- Best Degree Programs in Electronics Technology - Colorado Springs, CO