Associate Degree in Social Science: Program Overview
Completing an associate degree program in social science can allow students to transfer into a bachelor's degree program or gain entry-level employment in a number of career fields. A program can teach a student about the similarities and differences found in the subject areas included in the social science field so that they may decide which area is most appealing to them.
Social science is an interdisciplinary field that deals with how humans interact and behave in a society, and it can cover the subspecialties of psychology, sociology, economics, and more. Many students enroll in an associate degree program in social science to earn a broad academic background before transferring to a 4-year degree program. However, graduates can also go on to earn entry-level careers as administrative assistants, customer service representatives, technicians, and more.
Other 2-year degree programs similar to those in social sciences include:
- Associate of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Associate of Arts in Humanities
- Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts
Associate Degree Program in Social Sciences
A student may choose to earn an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science in Social Science. There are a number of concentrations offered at this level, which could include geography, history, psychology, communication or public relations. Through such a program, students can learn the principles and concepts necessary to communicate effectively. Upon completion of such a program, students should be able to demonstrate a historical awareness as well as an ability to both explain and evaluate research methods applicable to the social sciences. To be considered for the program, a student should have successfully completed high school or earned a GED.
The core curriculum studied as a part of an associate degree program in social science commonly focuses on humanities, life and physical sciences, social sciences and mathematics. In addition, students typically are given the opportunity to choose a number of elective courses in areas such as anthropology, psychology, history and political science. Elective coursework might include topics such as:
- Elementary statistics
- Psychology in the work place
- Math for the liberal arts
- United States history
- Child development
- Cultural geography
- Foreign language
Popular Career Options
Career options for a student who completes an associate degree program in social science vary greatly. Students are provided with the critical thinking, writing and analysis skills that are likely to be necessary to pursue a career in a number of fields. Career fields that a student might pursue include:
- Government service
- Behavioral health
Continuing Education Information
Generally, an associate degree program in social science prepares students to transfer to a bachelor's degree program. A student can choose to major in a number of areas, such as psychology, political science, anthropology and geography. Additionally, a student interested in becoming certified as a teacher might consider a bachelor's degree program in education to meet additional certification requirements.
Related to Associate Degree in Social Science: Program Overview
- Recently Updated
Learn about the program requirements and course topics for a master's degree program in social science. Find out about career...
Social sciences refers to the study of human behaviors, societies and other aspects of humanity. Careers that are possibilities...
Through the online bachelor's degree in social sciences, students become familiar with specific concentrations in social...
Read about degree programs in psychology, a social science that includes specializations in clinical, biological and industrial...
- Corrections Classification Officer: Job Description, Duties and Salary
- Horticultural Therapist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Online Social Science Degrees: Overviews by Program Level
- Careers in Beauty Marketing: Information and Education Requirements
- Welding Technician (Soldering): Career Education Summary
- Top University in Indianapolis for a Computer Information Systems Management Degree
- Animal Physiologist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Social Scientist: Employment Info and Career Requirements
- Musicology Education and Training Program Information
- Top College in Virginia Beach for HVAC Technician Training
- Top Ranked School for a Criminal Justice Degree - Omaha, NE
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist: Salary and Career Information
- Health Care Manager Job Information for Students Considering a Career in Health Care MGMT
- Organizational Development Professional Job Description and Info About a Career in Organizational MGMT and Development
- Refrigeration Engineers Job Description and Info About Becoming a Refrigeration Engineer
- Port Orchard, Washington (WA) Colleges