Associate in Business: General Business Degree Overview
A general business associate degree program can offer students training in the fundamentals of economics, small business management and marketing. Common degree programs include an Associate in Arts in General Business and an Associate of Business, among others. Graduates are typically qualified for entry-level business positions in a wide range of industries.
General Business Associate Degree
In an associate degree program in general business, students acquire a foundation in the basics of management, marketing, business communication and finance. Students can learn to apply skills such as critical thinking, organization, problem-solving and professionalism to the business world. Through analysis of practice business models, students can explore ways of solving problems that arise in a corporate setting. A high school diploma or GED is generally required for admission to associate degree programs in business.
This degree program typically requires 60 semester units and can be completed in two years. Most schools require students to take general education coursework, including courses in English, history, math, natural science, psychology and sociology. Some schools offer internship experiences as part of the business curriculum, giving students real-world practice that can lead to future employment opportunities. Coursework within a business program can include:
- Business Law
- Human resources
Popular Career Options
Upon completion of a general business degree program, graduates are generally qualified for entry-level employment in a variety of industries through departments such as accounting, human resources, finance or marketing and advertising. They can also seek general employment in banking, insurance, retail sales, small business and accounting. Possible job titles could include:
- Customer service supervisor
- Human resources clerk
- Accounting assistant
- Small business consultant
- Assistant manager
Graduates interested in higher-level employment opportunities can pursue a bachelor's degree in business. Common business programs at the bachelor's degree-level include business management or business administration. Some business programs offer specializations in marketing, human resources or international business.
Related to Associate in Business: General Business Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
An individual who finds a career working in the business world appealing may find a degree in general business...
The University of Nebraska at Omaha is a 4-year public school located in Omaha, NE. It is one of the top business...
Feeling entrepreneurial? You don't have to be an MBA student to start a business in college. Read on for some tips and...
Obtaining formal business education can prepare individuals for careers in management, finance, marketing and sales....
- Become a Business Journalist: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Business Lawyers: Job Description and Information About Becoming a Business Lawyer
- How to Become a Business Controller
- Best Degree Programs for Architecture and Architectural Drafting - Denver, CO
- Top School for Massage Therapy Programs - Chicago, IL
- Top School for a Degree in Psychology - Arlington, VA
- Top Ranked University Degree Program in Public Administration - Colorado Springs, CO
- How to Become a Business Coach: Education and Career Roadmap
- How to Become a Business Attorney: Education and Career Roadmap
- Best School for a Master's in Public Administration Degree - Milwaukee, WI
- Top School with Psychology Degrees - Denver, CO
- Top Ranked School for International Business - Chicago, IL