Associate in Science (AS): Business Administration Degree Overview
Associate of Science (A.S.) in Business Administration degree programs teach the fundamentals of staffing, employee relations, organization, business communication and public relations. Get information about courses, continuing education and potential job options.
An A.S. in Business Administration program gives students experience working on computers using word processing and spreadsheet programs, in addition to classes in basic business principles. Some programs call for internships or encourage volunteer work in the field. A high school diploma or the equivalent is generally required for admission.
These 2-year degree programs usually require 60-64 credits. Some programs offer internship opportunities, giving students the chance to apply classroom learning to a business setting. Students might also be encouraged to do volunteer work to increase their real-world experience. Course topics within the program could include:
- Business legalities
- International business
Popular Career Options
Graduates are typically qualified for entry-level positions in business settings. They could seek opportunities with small businesses, retail stores, corporations or nonprofit organizations. Job titles could include:
- Office manager
- Administrative assistant
- Human resources clerk
- Associate manager
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the employment of administrative assistants and secretaries should increase by 12% from 2012 to 2022 (www.bls.gov). In May of 2013, the BLS reported that secretaries and administrative assistants (except for medical, legal and executive secretaries) earned an annual median salary of $32,840.
Certificate programs give students the ability to expand their knowledge while keeping up-to-date with new business models and methods. Certificate programs are available in fields such as accounting, entrepreneurship, management and financial management. Additionally, those interested in advancing their career opportunities can apply to bachelor's degree programs in business administration. AS degree programs in business administration are typically designed so all or some of the earned credits transfer to a relevant bachelor's program.
Related to Associate in Science (AS): Business Administration Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Do you like to shop? Have you always been good at spotting a bargain or negotiating a lower price? If so, you should consider a...
Online executive master's in business administration degrees are widely available. Those interested in careers as securities...
Read about the Bachelor of Applied Science program in business administration and explore some common topics of study. Discover...
Students interested in studying business administration near Anaheim, CA, have many schools to choose from. Read about the top...
- Graduate Certificate in Business Administration: Program Overview
- Associate's in Business Administration - Management: Degree Overview
- Top College in Tucson for a Business Administration Degree
- Culinary Classes: Top Schools with Culinary Arts Programs - Seattle, WA
- Top School in Raleigh for Becoming a Computer Security Professional
- Top Computer Security Bachelor Degree Program in Colorado Springs
- Top School in Indianapolis for Legal Assistant Training
- BS in Business Administration - Finance: Degree Overview
- Associate in Specialized Business - Office Administration Degree
- Top School for a Business Administration Degree - Lexington, KY
- Cinematography Degrees: Top Rated Film School - San Francisco, CA
- Top Information Technology Degree Program - San Diego, CA