AAS in Computer Network Operations: Degree Overview
Explore the details of an Associate of Applied Science in Computer Network Operations program. Discover the courses that are offered and review career paths you might follow. See continuing education and certification options for graduates.
An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) program in computer network operations develop an understanding of web technologies, programming basics, software integration and the fundamentals of network administration. Similar degree programs can award students with an AAS in Computer Information Systems - Network Management. The program involves lab-oriented courses and hands-on training, and graduates may qualify for professional certification. A high school diploma or equivalent is typically required for admission.
In addition to learning to troubleshoot and repair a computer, students learn to build a computer system while becoming familiar with BIOS/CMOS. Common topics of study include:
- Cisco networking
- Computer security fundamentals
- Network security
- Date, voice and video cabling
- Programming in C
- UNIX operating system
Popular Career Options
Graduates of computer network operations AAS programs may find job opportunities in many industries. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), computer support specialists were projected to see an employment increase of 17% between 2012 and 2022, while network and computer systems administrators could expect a 12% employment increase that same decade (www.bls.gov). Some other potential career choices include:
- Network manager
- Hardware support specialist
- Computer networking technologist
- Microcomputer sales and service specialist
- Database administrator
Continuing Education and Certification
An AAS program in computer network operations offers graduates many career options, although some positions require bachelor's degree programs. Certifications are also a means for graduates to look more appealing to potential employers. Upon graduation, individuals may obtain certifications such as the Certified Wireless Technology Specialist (CWTS), Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
Related to AAS in Computer Network Operations: Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Read about certificate and degree programs in computer network administration and related fields. Get details on educational...
Read details about associate degree studies in computer network operations. Learn about admission requirements, courses...
Computer network management professionals setup, maintain, and monitor the performance of data communications systems. Some of...
Learn how to become a computer network technician. Research the job description and the education requirements, and find out...
- Computer Network Administration Certificate and Training Programs
- Associate of Computer Network Administration: Degree Overview
- How to Become a Computer Network Consultant: Career Roadmap
- Top Ranked Paralegal Studies Degree - Cincinnati, OH
- Airport Ramp Agent: Salary, Duties and Requirements
- Top-Ranked Psychology Bachelor's Degree Program in Salt Lake City
- Top School for a Business Management Degree - Norfolk, VA
- Associate of Applied Science in Computer Network Administration
- Bachelor of Computer Technology: Network Engineering Degree Overview
- Real Estate Office Manager: Job Description and Career Info
- Top Database Administration Bachelor's Degree in Arlington, VA
- Ground Stewardess: Job Description, Duties and Requirements