Associate of Office System Technologist: Degree Overview
Research associate's degrees in office systems technology. Get information on requirements, courses and career options to make an informed decision about your education.
Associate's in Office Systems Technology
An associate's degree program in office systems technology teaches students about various software programs and essential office skills. Community colleges and technical schools offer this 2-year degree program. Graduates are provided with general knowledge of business procedures, such as basic accounting, report preparation and business communications, as well as proficiency in using business software for word processing, desktop publishing and the creation of spreadsheets. Some schools allow students to choose fields of emphasis by taking elective courses in medical, banking or legal studies. In addition to class work, students may be required to work in internships before graduation.
A student must have a high school diploma or GED certificate in order to enroll in this program. Some schools require students take keyboarding and basic computer classes as prerequisites.
Some courses in an associate's degree program in office systems technology emphasize the human resources knowledge, ethical practices and communications skills graduates will need in an office environment. However, most classes focus on the technical aspects of office work, such as desktop publishing, word processing, managing e-mail and creating databases. Course offerings may include:
- Accounting principles
- Business communications
- Office procedures
- Records management
Popular Career Options
Graduates of an associate's program in office systems technology have many career choices, depending on the elective courses they chose. Career options may include:
- Medical secretary
- Accounting clerk
Office workers who want to move into management positions may need to pursue bachelor's degrees, either in business administration or in other specialty areas. For example, a medical secretary who aspires to become a manager in a medical practice could pursue a degree in health services administration.
Related to Associate of Office System Technologist: Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Individuals interested in organizing or running an office may want to consider a career in office management. To work...
A school office manager typically works in an elementary, middle or high school as a support for the principal. They...
Every college and university has its own financial aid office and policies. The aid office is there to assist you and...
Those who aspire to manage a medical office can begin their studies at Central Texas College in Killeen, TX, about 60...
- Law Office Assistant: Job Description and Requirements
- Legal Office Assistant: Job Description and Requirements
- Medical Office Specialist Certification and Training Program Info
- Top Ranked Communications Degree Program - San Francisco, CA
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Marketing - Colorado Springs, CO
- Best School for Video Game Programming Education - Phoenix, AZ
- Top School for a Computer Engineering Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Online Office Management Certificates with Program Summaries
- Microsoft Office Professional Certification and Certificate Programs
- Top Ranked Criminal Justice and Legal Studies Degree Programs - Atlanta, GA
- Top Health Care Administration Degree Programs - Los Angeles, CA
- Top Business School - Phoenix, AZ