Associate of Science (AS): Marketing and Sales Degree Overview
Research associate's degrees in marketing and sales. Get information on requirements, courses and career prospects to make an informed decision about your education.
Associate of Science: Marketing and Sales
Some educational institutions offer Associate in Applied Science degrees in sales and marketing while others offer Associate in Science degrees in sales and marketing, but the requirements and learning outcomes for both types of degree programs are very similar. Marketing and sales degree programs generally give students knowledge in team building, human resources, accounting, marketing and international business. Students who have completed a degree program could have the necessary skills and knowledge to gain employment in the fast-paced and exciting fields of marketing and sales.
Typically, most schools require prospective students to have a high school diploma or its equivalent before they'll accept them into these degree programs.
Marketing and sales programs usually start students out with classes that emphasize career-strengthening areas that extend to the marketing field. The curriculum generally continues with instruction in topics such as professional selling strategies, behavior of organizations, business law, economics and marketing for the Internet. Examples of course topics typically offered in an associate's degree program include:
- Consumer behavior
- Management principles
- Marketing principles
- Managerial accounting
- Advertising and promotion
- Technology applications
Possible Career Choices
Graduates of a sales and marketing program can enter many fields including customer service, marketing, advertising or sales. Typically, graduates begin their careers in entry-level settings and are able to advance to higher positions as they gain experience in the field. Entry-level positions for graduates of an associate's degree program in marketing and sales might include:
- Customer service representative
- Sales consultant
- Call center representative
- Retail sales associate
- Advertisement sales representative
Career Outlook and Salary Information
Employment for customer service representatives could increase by 13% from 2012 through 2022, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) noted. Retail sales associates could see an employment increase of 10%, and advertising sales agents might see a one percent decline during that same period.
In May 2012, the BLS reported customer service representatives had a median salary of $30,580, and retail sales associates saw $21,110 in median wages. Advertising sales agents reported median earnings of $46,290.
While many graduates of degree programs in sales and marketing may enter the workforce directly after graduation, some may prefer to obtain more skills and advance their educations by earning bachelor's degree in sales and marketing. Accredited schools across the nation offer such bachelor's degree programs.
Related to Associate of Science (AS): Marketing and Sales Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Situated roughly three miles from Arlington, VA, in Washington, D.C., George Washington University is a private university home...
See our list of the top free online sales and marketing management courses. Learn about what courses are available and what...
Associate's degree programs in business administration with emphases on marketing and sales can equip students to work in...
Earning an associate degree in marketing and sales can help professionals enter the world of advertising and public relations....
- Associate of Marketing and Sales: Management Degree Overview
- Marketing Degree: Top College for Learning Sales and Marketing - Tulsa, OK
- Top Ranked Sales and Marketing Degree Programs - Anaheim, CA
- What Is a Bachelors Degree and What Is Required to Obtain One?
- IT Technician: Job Outlook and Career Info for Becoming an IT Technician
- Life Science Teacher: Job Duties & Requirements
- Post-Bachelor Certificate Program Information
- Top Business School for a Sales and Marketing Degree - Chicago, IL
- Bachelor of Business Administration: Online Marketing and Sales Degree
- Employee Benefits Manager: Job Description & Career Requirements
- Worker's Compensation Lawyer: Job Duties and Requirements
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Kinesiology?