Automation Technician: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
Automation technicians repair and maintain the computer-controlled systems and robotic devices used within industrial and commercial facilities to reduce human intervention and maximize efficiency. Their duties require knowledge of electronics, mechanics and computers.
Job Description of an Automation Technician
Automation technicians troubleshoot, service and fix the computerized systems and robotic devices that are designed to reduce human interaction, such as robotic assembly devices and computer-controlled building air-conditioning systems. These machines and systems are often found within industrial and manufacturing plants, such as food processing facilities. Alternate job titles include field technician, bench technician, robotics technician, production support technician and maintenance technician.
Duties of Automation Technicians
Automation technicians perform routine diagnostic checks on automated systems, monitor automated systems, isolate problems and perform repairs. For example, technicians at a food packaging facility use weights or specialized instruments to ensure the machines are dispensing the correct amount of food into containers. If a problem occurs, the technician needs to troubleshoot the issue and determine if the problem is mechanical, electrical or from the computer systems controlling the process. Once the issue has been diagnosed, the technician must repair or replace any necessary components, such as a sensor or electrical wiring.
Requirements to Become an Automation Technician
Employers may prefer applicants who have completed an automation technology or mechatronics associate degree program. These degree programs integrate computer science with mechanics, electronics and process controls, They also commonly include coursework in hydraulics, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, electrical circuits, electrical machinery and human-machine interfaces. Good math and analytic skills are essential to understand automated systems and isolate problems. Workers are expected to become proficient with various instruments and hand tools, such as electrical multimeters.
Certifications can enhance employment opportunities and keep professionals current with the latest technological developments. Credential programs are offered by several equipment manufacturers and professional associations, such as the Electronics Technicians Association and the Manufacturing Skill Standards Council.
Salary and Job Outlook
While salary and outlook data isn't collected for this career, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that these professionals make a salary similar to electro-mechanical technicians. In May 2012, the BLS reported that electro-mechanical technicians had a median annual salary of $51,820. Job growth for electro-mechanical technicians was expected to be 4% during the 2012-2022 decade, according to the BLS.
Related to Automation Technician: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Research the requirements to become a production line worker. Learn about the job description and read the step-by-step process...
Payroll clerks ensure that employees are paid accurately and on time. Depending on the level of automation involved in a...
Read about a career in automation engineering. Research the educational and skill requirements, and learn about the job...
Learn how to become an automation analyst. Research the job description and education requirements, and find out how to start a...
- Become a Controls Engineer: Education and Career Roadmap
- Salary and Career Info for an Electrical Engineering Technologist
- MIT Department Helps Faculty Connect Innovation and Technology
- How to Become a Mounted Policeman: Career Guide
- X Ray Tech: Career Profile
- Online Instructor: Career Education for Online Instructors
- How to Become a Cargo Agent: Education and Career Roadmap
- Maybe Technology in Schools Isn't the Answer
- How Mobile Apps and Devices Impact Teaching and Learning: EduMOOC 2011
- Be a Certified Facilities Manager: Certification and Career Information
- Salary and Career Info for a Financial Services Representative
- How to Become a Hotel Housekeeper: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Boat Technicians Job Outlook and Information About Starting a Career Repairing Boats
- Pharmaceutical MGMT Professions Employment Information and Requirements for a Career in Pharma Management
- Online Law Master's Degree Programs
- Financial Advisor Career Information and Requirements for Becoming a Financial Advisor