Average Tuition Costs for Engineering Graduate School
Engineering professionals develop new and innovative products and services designed to simplify and improve everyday activities. Engineering graduate schools provide students opportunities to seek advanced careers and earn higher wages.
What Is the Average Tuition Cost for Engineering Graduate School?
Tuition costs for a graduate degree program in engineering are determined by the type of engineering program, as well as the type of the academic institution. Public colleges, such as state universities, often have lower tuition rates than private universities. Many graduate schools also charge fees, such as application, registration and book fees, which increase the total cost of attendance. Determining average tuition costs is difficult, since rates vary greatly among institutions, and some schools even fluctuate rates per semester.
Graduate Schools' Engineering Tuition Rates
U.S. News & World Report ranks public and private engineering graduate schools annually based on the quality of the program, teachers and student outcomes. The following table shows the 2014 annual in-state, full-time tuition rates, including fees, for the top five graduate schools for engineering programs (www.usnews.com).
|University||Public or Private||Annual Tuition|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Private, not-for-profit||$43,210|
|Stanford University||Private, not-for-profit||$45,480|
|University of California - Berkeley||Public||$11,220 (in-state); $26,322 (out-of-state)|
|California Institute of Technology||Private, not-for-profit||$39,990|
|Carnegie Mellon University||Private, not-for-profit||$40,000|
Tuition and Fee Waivers
Many schools offer graduate students a waiver on fees and may offer partial or full tuition waivers for certain students or programs. Eligibility requirements vary by school. Students should find out if they qualify for any type of waiver with the school's registrar. A few examples of waivers include:
|University of Missouri||Tuition||Full semester assistantship or fellowship|
|Florida State University||Tuition||State or school employees, graduate assistants|
|Brown University||Application fee||Financial need|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Application fee||Financial need|
|University of Central Florida||Tuition||Graduate teaching, full or part-time assistantship|
|University of California - Berkeley||Tuition||Nonresident doctoral candidates|
Tuition Assistance - Grants and Fellowships
Several organizations offer grants and other types of free student aid to engineering graduate students. Some provide annual allowances or stipends, while others provide full tuition assistance. Often, students must attend schools affiliated with the granting organization, though there are some that allow a student to choose the institution they wish to attend. Some assistance examples include:
- The National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship - Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense, up to three years of full tuition, fees, insurance and annual stipend are covered for several engineering disciplines at any school in the country (ndseg.asee.org).
- Environmental Engineers of the Future - Offering up to $10,000 in tuition assistance, students receiving the award must commit to two years of employment with the organization after graduation (www.engineeringmastersfunding.org).
- National Science Foundation - Graduate students may choose among a variety of grant and fellowship opportunities, including tuition assistance and cultural research project funding (www.nsf.gov).
- Society of Women Engineers - Women interested in engineering and computer science may qualify for up to $10,000 in scholarships and fellowships (societyofwomenengineers.swe.org).
Engineering Graduate Job and Salary Outlook
The 2013-2014 salary report released by PayScale.com indicated that seven of the ten highest paid college majors were in engineering. While the report based the findings on bachelor's degree holders, further studies on the website found students with an equivalent master's degree earn approximately 17% more than undergraduates, and Ph.D.s made up to 26% higher wages. The following chart lists the 10th to 90th percentile of salaries for these high-ranking majors, as of August 2014:
|Rank||Engineering job||Bachelor's degree||Master's degree||Doctorate degree|
|1||Aerospace||$55,961 - $106,108||$62,591 - $103,364||$79,463- $148,781|
|2||Chemical||$54,091 - $109,283||$60,055 - $124,098||$69,967 - $139,581|
|3||Computer||$56,311 - $101,098||$70,000- $93,369||No data|
|4||Electrical||$69,902 - $100,706||$59,979- $109,960||$69,902 - $144,178|
|7||Mechanical||$46,976 - $86,500||$60,043 - $108,050||$62,400- $104,456|
|9||Petroleum||$71,726 - $165,646||$72,240- $154,590||$101,736 - $138,000|
|10||Nuclear||$58,875 - $126,195||$59,413 - $103,093||$75,594 - $146,472|
Related to Average Tuition Costs for Engineering Graduate School
- Recently Updated
Learn about bachelor's degree programs related to avionic engineering. Read about curriculum requirements and employment trends...
Research the educational and skill requirements needed to become an aeronautic engineer, as well as the job description and...
Research the requirements to become a licensed general engineer. Learn about the job description and duties and read the...
Research the requirements to become an engineering machinist. Learn about the job description and duties, and read the...
- How to Become an Automotive Engineering Technician
- List of Free Audio Engineering Courses and Classes
- 5 Universities Offering Free Engineering Courses Online
- Master of Science (MS): General Engineering Degree Overview
- Diploma in Veterinarian Assisting: Program Overview
- AAS in Computer Applications: Degree Overview
- Master of Health Education: Degree Overview