Bachelor of Advertising: Degree Overview
Students interested in careers where they'll promote and sell products, services or brands may pursue a bachelor's degree in advertising. Advertising programs typically prepare students for entry-level careers in advertising, marketing, public relations or related fields.
Bachelor's Degree in Advertising
Students enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Advertising program explore methods for learning what customers want and how to develop advertising campaigns that reach and persuade those populations. Upon completion of the program, students will have acquired the skills to create copy and advertising promotions. They'll have experienced working on creative teams to design real world solutions for clients and competitive design strategies.
Some programs recommend a business-related concentration or minor. Internship opportunities are usually available, although not always required. The bachelor's degree takes approximately four years to complete, and applicants typically need to hold a high school diploma.
Some general education courses are typically required. Advertising coursework focuses on critical thinking, effective communication, writing, editing and visualizing ideas and incorporates elements of social science research, statistics, multicultural studies and visual design. Subject studied may include:
- Advertising strategies
- Effective advertising sales
- Media planning
- Copywriting for ads
- Retail advertising
- Ethics and law in advertising
- Visual design of ads
Career Outlook and Salary Information
Individuals may find career opportunities in public relations, marketing and advertising, including entry-level positions. Common job titles may include public relationships specialists, media planners, copywriters, direct marketers or advertising sales agents. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that individuals who worked as advertising and promotions managers earned an average income of $107,060 in May 2012 (www.bls.gov). The BLS also predicts that advertising and promotions managers as a group will likely see a 13% employment growth between 2010 and 2020, with applicants possessing expertise in online promotion expected to see the highest number of prospects.
Related to Bachelor of Advertising: Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Advertising is the art and business of enticing consumers to purchase a product or service. There are many reasons to major in...
Individuals who can create appealing visual images that convey a message or solve a problem will enjoy a career in advertising...
The staff in commercial advertising agencies work together to create images to market a company's products. The field...
Advertising agents sell commercial time or space to interested parties. They also help their clients develop advertising that's...
- Advertising Vs. Marketing Majors: What's the Difference?
- Media Director: Job Duties, Salary and Requirements
- Job Description of a Media Buyer: Outlook, Duties and Salary
- Insurance Broker Degree Program Information
- Scientific Officer: Job Description, Duties, Salary and Outlook
- Mental Health Counselor: Education & Career Requirements
- Mechanical Inspector: Job Description & Requirements
- Distance Learning Master of Accounting Degrees
- Criminal Justice Degree Top Ranked School for a Career in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration - Sacramento CA
- Top Ranked Business Administration and Business Management Degrees - Houston TX
- Top School with Web Design Degree Programs - Braintree MA