Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA): Legal Studies Degree Overview
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree programs in legal studies are geared toward the business student who desires an increased understanding of the principles of law related to the business environment. A degree in legal studies can assist students in obtaining an entry-level business job or it can serve as a pre-law program for those wishing to pursue a law school degree in the future.
Bachelor of Business Administration in Legal Studies
Students are introduced to concepts and specific areas of law related to general business operation practices, like marketing, human relations, risk management, compliance issues and small business ownership. Most 4-year programs are built upon a strong core of general business coursework. Programs also include skill development in the areas of effective business communications, research practices, problem-solving and ethical decision-making. Generally, a high school diploma or GED is required to apply, and admissions may be competitive.
Core math and foundational business coursework, such as accounting, statistics, economics, marketing, information management and operational management, is generally required. Typical coursework folds in current advancements in business technologies, such as E-commerce and digital information management, as they relate to current law. Additional legal studies topics vary depending on the particular program, but can include:
- Business law
- Legal research
- International business law
- Intellectual property law
- Environmental law
- Principles of real estate law
- Employment law
- Contract law
- Anti-trust law
- Law and society
- Information technology and the law
Popular Career Options
Career options are varied. Entry-level professional positions are available within corporate departments like finance and business operations, although some jobs may require additional education or training. Graduates may also pursue law-related occupations in the government sector, including state level criminal justice agencies and the court system. Job titles may include:
- Human resources specialist
- Risk management officer
- Government or nonprofit agency manager
- Escrow officer
- Law clerk
- Title examiner
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), human resources specialists earned an average annual wage of $60,660 in 2012, while financial managers, including risk managers, saw a mean annual salary of $123,260. Law clerks made an average of $52,610 per year in 2012, the BLS indicates, and title examiners averaged $46,310 per year. PayScale.com indicated in December 2013 that most escrow officers made from $30,726-$74,278 annually, with the median yearly wage falling at $45,733.
Graduates desiring additional career opportunities and advancement can pursue a master's degree, such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with or without a legal studies concentration. These degree programs can usually be completed in an additional 2-4 years. Students may also pursue law school admission. A juris doctor (J.D.) degree takes three years to complete and qualifies students to sit for their state's bar exam, which results in their license to practice law as an attorney. Some schools also offer an joint J.D./MBA program.
Related to Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA): Legal Studies Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Students of a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) program with a concentration in legal studies explore the...
If you want to study the fundamentals of business while learning how to make efficient use of technology, an ABS degree in...
Each year, Education Portal awards ten merit-based scholarships to students in fields ranging from health administration to...
Research online graduate certificate programs in business administration. Get information about coursework, career prospects...
- Top Ranked Business Administration and Business Management Degrees - Houston, TX
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Public Administration Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Business Administration: Online Marketing and Sales Degree
- Environmentalist Degree and Certificate Program Information
- Career Options for Spanish Majors: Job Information and Requirements
- Game Technology Degree and Training Program Summaries
- Online Degrees in MRI Technology: Program Information
- Top University for a Degree in Business Administration - Anaheim, CA
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA): Accounting Degree Overview
- Careers Working with Ocean Animals: Job Options and Requirements
- Video Game 3D Animation Certificate: Program Overview
- Information Technology Security Certificate Programs and Courses