Bachelor of Science (BS): Health Administration Degree Overview
A Bachelor of Science in Health Administration can be the first step for an individual seeking an administrative position in one of many healthcare settings. Students may be required to complete an internship to gain hands-on experience, in addition to healthcare policy and business-related courses.
Bachelor of Science Health Administration
These degree programs can provide aspiring healthcare administrators with the skills necessary to assume management and supervisory roles within healthcare organizations. An internship may be required to give students hands-on experience working alongside trained healthcare professionals in the field. Students can learn about managing people and other resources, healthcare laws and trends in healthcare as they complete this 4-year degree program.
To enter a bachelor's degree program in health administration, students must have a high school diploma or GED. They may be required to have completed some prerequisite coursework also, in subjects like chemistry or biology. In some cases, previous coursework in related areas of study can allow students to receive advanced standing in a bachelor's degree program.
In these programs, students can complete business-related courses, like accounting, budgeting and organizational management. Common courses include:
- Health information systems
- Legal issues in healthcare administration
- Case management
- Ethics in healthcare
- Study of healthcare policy
- Introduction to long-term care
Popular Career Options
While a master's degree is generally required for some positions within larger healthcare providers, a bachelor's degree could qualify individuals for administrative work in some settings. Common careers include:
- Health services administrator
- Health information manager
- Human resources specialist
- Health insurance specialist
Continuing Education and Professional Certification Information
A Master of Health Administration (MHA) can be the next educational step for healthcare professionals who want to further their education and advance in their fields. Students can learn about healthcare systems design, healthcare law and healthcare marketing. Typically, the focus of such a program would be to cultivate the leadership skills of healthcare administrators. These programs often take a minimum of two years to complete.
Related to Bachelor of Science (BS): Health Administration Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Continue reading to learn about the requirements of an online Bachelor of Science degree program in health...
Research online master's degrees in health administration. Continue reading to make an informed decision about your...
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas is located about ten miles outside of Henderson, near the Las Vegas Strip. The...
The University of North Florida in Jacksonville, FL, offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs through five...
- Master of Science (MS): Health Administration Degree Overview
- Master of Science in Nursing: Online Health Administration Degree
- Associate in Applied Science (AAS): Health Services Administration Degree Overview
- Top Medical Assisting School - Cincinnati, OH
- Top University with a Psychology Degree - Bakersfield, CA
- Top University with a Marketing Degree Concentration - Jacksonville, FL
- Top School for Earning a Degree in Information Technology - Fort Wayne, IN
- Health Administration Classes: Top College for Earning a Healthcare Administration Degree - Augusta, GA
- Health Administration: Top School for a Career in Health Care Management and Administration - Pittsburgh, PA
- Top CAD Drafting and Design Degree Programs - Houston, TX
- Top Degree Programs for Administrative Assisting - Chicago, IL
- Top Ranked University with a Marketing Degree Program - Charlotte, NC