Bachelor of Science (BS): Interdisciplinary Studies Degree Overview
Bachelor of Science degree programs in interdisciplinary studies offer students interested in a broad liberal arts education customizable academic options. Students can choose from various concentrations, such as English, computers, business, psychology or education.
Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies
Bachelor's degree programs in interdisciplinary studies give students the freedom to learn from a wide array of subject matter and design courses of study tailored to their goals and interests. Students can combine elements from various majors and, under the guidance of program advisors, design personalized programs of study in two or three concentrations. Some programs place emphasis on providing a versatile liberal arts education in oral and written communication, literature, history, philosophy and social sciences.
In the 4-year program, students are encouraged to improve critical thinking, problem solving and research skills. A high school diploma or the equivalent is generally required for admission. Although not a requirement, some programs are designed for students with previous college credit.
Students can choose concentrations or combined concentrations in a variety of areas, such as psychology, English, public relations, multicultural studies, communication, education, information technology and various others. Students may be required to complete a capstone or culminating project to highlight what they've learned. Course topics usually revolve around students' selected concentrations, and could include:
- Social psychology
- Mass media
- Organizational communication
- Psychology of personalities
- International law
- Public relations writing
Popular Career Options
Graduates have the professional philosophies and diverse experiences to qualify for a wide variety of careers. Specific job titles available to an interdisciplinary studies graduate include:
- Social worker
- Business manager
Because of the broad academic scope of this degree program, graduates are often able to advance their education through a wide range of degree programs. Students can apply to master's degree programs in their respective concentrations. A Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies is also available to students interested in creating a tailored curriculum.
Related to Bachelor of Science (BS): Interdisciplinary Studies Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Degrees in interdisciplinary studies are often appropriate for students with wide-ranging interests that encompass many fields...
Students who are having a hard time choosing one college major may wish to consider an interdisciplinary studies degree...
Interdisciplinary studies involve inquiry into a variety of academic areas. Online doctorate programs for interdisciplinary...
An associate degree program in interdisciplinary studies can allow a student to create a degree plan that meets their future...
- Graduate Program Options in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Associate in Science (AS): Interdisciplinary Studies Degree Overview
- Associate's Degrees for Educational Paraprofessionals (Teacher's Aides)
- Online Dispatcher Course and Class Overviews
- Machine Operator: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Geneticist: Career Information and Education Requirements
- Online Phlebotomy Certification, Certificate and Training Overviews
- Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies: Degree Overview
- Top School in Jacksonville, FL, for an Interdisciplinary Studies Degree
- Broadcast Tech: Education Requirements and Job Information
- Online PhD in Engineering Management: Program Overview
- Army Linguist: Career Information and Education Requirements