Bachelor's Degree in Conservationism
Research bachelor's degrees in conservationism. Learn about courses, potential careers and certification options to make an informed decision about your education.
Bachelor's Degrees in Conservationism
A bachelor's degree program in conservationism contains courses immersed in the theory and practice of maintaining the environment's natural resources and eco-systems. Students study how human activities affect the earth and how to lessen negative impacts. Programs are offered at many colleges and universities, but may fall under closely-related subjects, such as environmental science or environmental and natural resources. A high school diploma or GED is required for admission into a bachelor's program.
Coursework for a conservationism program includes several sciences, as well as other subjects, such as government, geography and communication. Specializations are often available for broader programs; choices may include restoration ecology, conservation biology, watershed management or sustainable management. Hands-on learning is typically acquired through fieldwork, internships and laboratory work. Common courses may include:
- Organic chemistry
- Wildlife habitat management
- Conservation biology
- Wildlife ecology
- Natural resources and society
Popular Career Options
Graduates can seek entry-level employment in the public or private sector, such as government natural resource agencies, environmental management consulting firms and environmental advocacy groups. Depending on the job, professionals may work in offices and labs or spend time doing fieldwork. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that independent consultants and novices spend most of their time in the field. Job options include:
- Conservation scientist
- Park ranger
Continuing Education and Certification Information
Individuals can pursue further education with graduate degree programs in conservationism. In the master's degree program, students receive training on advanced topics in the field and also participate in research. A thesis or research-based project is typically required in a master's program. Students enrolled in doctorate degree programs work closely with faculty to conduct original research. Their studies usually conclude with writing a dissertation based on the research.
Various voluntary certifications are available for conservation professionals. The Wildlife Society offers certification as a Certified Wildlife Biologist or Associate Wildlife Biologist for professionals with approved education and experience. It also offers a Professional Developmental Certificate for all wildlife professionals. The Society of American Foresters offers professionals with an approved bachelor's degree and sufficient professional experience the Certified Forester credential.
Related to Bachelor's Degree in Conservationism
- Recently Updated
Environmental studies encompasses several academic disciplines in order to address environmental issues from multiple...
Hospital management refers to the organization, planning and maintenance of hospitals, hospital networks and various...
Organizational management programs train students to become leaders in businesses, non-profit organizations and public...
Bachelor's degree programs in film and cinema teach students about the wide range of duties associated with creating...
- Top Business Schools for a Bachelors Degree
- Jobs and Salary Info for a Bachelors in Chemistry Degree
- Jobs and Career Info for a Bachelors Degree in Criminology
- Top Degree Programs in Biomedical Engineering - Fremont, CA
- Top School for a Graphic Design and Multimedia Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Top Ranked University for a Degree in Computer Drafting and Graphic Design - Henderson, NV
- Top Degree Programs for Administrative Assisting - Chicago, IL
- Salary and Career Info for a Nurse with a Bachelor's Degree
- Salary and Job Info for a Bachelors Degree in Law
- Top School for a Degree in International Business - Charlotte, NC
- Top Ranked School for Computer Information Technology - Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Top University with a Medical Office Management Degree Program - Philadelphia, PA