Best School for Health Information Technology Degrees - Chicago, IL
Chicago has about 13 schools with programs related to health information technology. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
School and Ranking Information
Degree programs that prepare students to work in the relatively new and increasingly important field of health information technology are becoming more widely available, and Chicago-area students have several school and degree options when seeking a program in this field. Based on the size and history of the programs, the number of graduates, and online availability, the following school is considered one of the top schools in Chicago for health information technology programs:
- Winner: The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a public research university and is home to the largest medical school in the country. UIC offers bachelor's and master's degree options, as well as post-baccalaureate and post-graduate certificates, in the fields of health information management (HIM) and health informatics (HI). The HI program is the largest graduate program of its type in the country.
School Info Chart
|Category||University of Illinois at Chicago|
|Rankings||#149 among Best National Universities and #78 among Best Public Universities (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergraduate: $13,410 (in-state), $25,800 (out-of-state)**|
|Health Information Technology Degrees Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees; post-baccalaureate and post-graduate certificates|
|Health Information Technology Degrees Awarded in 2012-2013||135**|
|Most Popular Health Information Technology Degree Level in 2012-2013||Master's (81 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||57%**|
|Noteworthy||First accredited graduate health informatics program in the U.S.; Online bachelor's degree program ranked #9 by U.S. News & World Report in 2014*|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
University of Illinois at Chicago
- All HI and HIM programs are available online
- Graduates of the HIM programs are eligible to register for the Registered Health Information Administrator's (RHIA) credentialing exam
The UIC medical campus dates back to 1859, when it began as the first pharmacy school west of the Allegheny Mountains. Since then, the UIC has expanded to serve some 28,000 students across 15 academic colleges. The Department of Biomedical and Health Information Sciences houses the HIM and HI programs and partners with health care facilities throughout Chicago.
This interdisciplinary department offers a health information management bachelor's degree program both online and on campus and an online post-baccalaureate HIM certificate program. The bachelor's program takes two years to complete, and the certificate requires completion of eleven courses. In health informatics, UIC offers online master's degree and post-master's certificate programs. The curriculum includes coursework in clinical science, computer science and business practices.
Related to Best School for Health Information Technology Degrees - Chicago, IL
- Recently Updated
Medical records and health information technicians organize patient health files and information, including medical histories,...
Read details about associate degree programs in health information technology. Get information about prerequisites, common...
Individuals interested in a career in the health care field that could potentially offer job security may be interested in...
Health information technology is a discipline for students who wish to pursue a career in medical coding or healthcare...
- Health Information Technology Job Information & Requirements
- Top Health Information Technology Degrees - Long Beach, CA
- Health Information Technology: Diploma Program Summary
- Top School for a Degree in Business Finance - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top School in Fort Lauderdale for a Digital Media Degree
- Top School in Richmond, VA, with a Marketing Degree
- Top University in Jacksonville, FL, for a Criminal Justice Degree
Perfect School Search
- A - C
- D - M
- N - W
- Nearby States