Building Designer: Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career in Building Design
Professionals working in the architectural field can pursue Building Design as a career option. Building Designers are not registered architects but share many of the same skills and qualifications, including an associate or bachelor's degree in architecture. A majority of Building Design ventures are residential or light commercial building projects that do not require the official credentials of an architect.
Career Definition: Building Designer
Because many Building Designers specialize in residential design or residential remodeling, they often are known as residential designers. Like architects, they create designs for new building or remodeling projects that comply with building codes and meet the specifications and vision of their clients.
How to Become a Building Designer
Required Education for a Career in Building Design
Building Designers need to complete a 2-year associate degree or a 4-year bachelor's degree in architecture. Coursework covers subjects like construction, math, physical sciences and residential and commercial design with an emphasis on CADD (Computer Aided Design and Drafting). Aspiring designers also are encouraged to sit for a certification exam by an established agency or association.
Skills Required for a Career as a Building Designer
A Building Designer is able to solve complex problems and work under the parameters and limitations of a budget while translating the vision and ideas of a client into a physical product. Building Designers should also be adept at communicating effectively with various groups of people.
Career and Economic Outlook for Building Design
According to the Occupational Information Network (O*Net), the average salary of a professional in the Building Design field is $44,490. The outlook for the Building Design field is closely tied to growth or declines in the home-building and renovation industries (www.online.onetcenter.org),
Related to Building Designer: Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career in Building Design
- Recently Updated
The University of Miami, located about five miles from Miami in Coral Gables, FL, serves about 16,000 students yearly....
Interior designers work to furnish the spaces found within homes and office buildings by applying principles of design...
Metropolitan State College of Denver (Metro State) is a 4-year public college in the heart of Colorado's capital city....
Those looking for an interior design school near Dallas, TX, will find the largest not-for-profit program available at...
- Music Merchandise Designer: Employment Information for Recent Graduates Pursuing a Career in Musical Merchandise Design
- Web Designer Training: Top School Offering Courses in Web Design - Phoenix, AZ
- Web Design Training: Top School for Becoming a Professional Web Designer - Tallahassee, FL
- Top Ranked Medical Assisting Degree Programs - Denver, CO
- Top Ranked University with Graphic Design Degree Programs - Miami, FL
- Top Public Administration Degree Programs - Jacksonville, FL
- Top Criminal Justice Degree Program - Colorado Springs, CO
- The Inclusive Design Research Centre Is Making Learning Better for Everyone
- Web Design Training: Top School to Become a Professional Web Designer - Charlotte, NC
- Top School for a Degree in Healthcare Administration - Cincinnati, OH
- Top Ranked University with Criminal Justice Degree Programs - Jacksonville, FL
- Best School for a Marketing and Public Relations Degree - San Francisco, CA