Business Development Manager: Job Description and Requirements
Business development managers are top-tier executives whose job is to drive the growth of the company, both by generating new business opportunities and by motivating and challenging employees. Depending on the size of the company, this professional usually reports to the CEO or board of directors.
The business development manager's main task is to facilitate the growth of the business for which he or she works. Working primarily with the sales and marketing departments, this experienced professional develops training plans to educate and motivate the employees of the company to perform at their most profitable level.
Strategic planning for future development is a key part of this job description, since it is the business manager's responsibility to develop the pipeline of new business coming in to the company. This requires a thorough knowledge of the marketplace and of the company's competitors.
A day in the life of a business development manager might include tasks like:
- Writing proposals and specifications
- Crafting training programs
- Hiring instructors
- Conducting workshops
- Competitive analysis
- Contract review with potential new clients
- Collaboration with the marketing department
A review of online job postings in September 2010 on Monster.com and PayScale.com revealed that business development management positions require a bachelor's degree and 3-5 years of sales or marketing experience. A graduate degree is often requested as well.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
A bachelor's degree in a business field, such as a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA), would prepare the aspiring business development executive for a career in management. These 4-year baccalaureate programs are designed to prepare the graduate for entry-level work in business or graduate school. Since these programs are relatively common, often one can be found that emphasizes leadership in business. This type of program blends standard business school coursework with focused study of marketing, organizational behavior and entrepreneurship.
A student in a BSBA program with an emphasis in leadership might take classes in the following:
- Small business management
- Entrepreneurial finance
- Human resource management
- Cost accounting
- Managerial economics
Master of Business Administration
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) has long been held as the gold standard of graduate degrees in business. These programs take two years to complete if courses are taken full-time; however, many programs are designed for currently working professionals and take longer. Business management, corporate policy, finance, economics, organizational behavior and strategic planning are all part of the curriculum. Graduates will be well-versed in critical thinking and analytical problem-solving skills.
Many MBA programs are tailored toward subspecialties in business; an MBA candidate in a program that emphasizes entrepreneurial business development might take courses in the subjects below:
- Managerial communications
- Competitive intelligence
- Employment law for managers
- Conflict resolution and negotiation
- Knowledge management
Related to Business Development Manager: Job Description and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Entrepreneurship or small business development degree programs provide students with a foundation in finance,...
Those interested in starting their own business may want to consider studying entrepreneurship and small business...
With skills in the sales and marketing fields, business development specialists assist companies in promoting products...
Business development professionals help a company analyze and implement growth ideas and strategies. A Bachelor of...
- Associate in Specialized Business: Solutions Development Degree Overview
- Business Office Manager: Job Description and Info About Starting a Career in Business Office MGMT
- Software Development Manager: Information About Becoming a Software Development Manager
- Top School with Psychology Degrees - Denver, CO
- Top Ranked Culinary School - Charlotte, NC
- Top Degree Programs in Nursing and Nursing Administration - Albuquerque, NM
- Top Ranked School for Human Resource Management - Henderson, NV
- Agricultural Business Manager: Job Description and Information About a Career in Agricultural Business Management
- Entertainment Business Manager: Job Description and Requirements
- Top Computer Programming Degree Programs - New York, NY
- Top Criminal Justice Degree Program - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top University with Nursing Degrees - Anaheim, CA