Career Information for a Degree in Electronic Communications Engineering
Electronics engineers design systems that use electricity for signal processing. An electronic communications engineer focuses these efforts on communications signal processing. The majority of these engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in the field.
Electronic communications engineers conceptualize, design, test and oversee the manufacturing of communications and broadcast systems. They mainly work to integrate electronics and communications into any system they develop. These professionals may work for commercial, industrial, military or scientific companies. Examples of potential job titles for these engineers include design engineer, electronics engineer and electrical design engineer.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in 2010 there were 133,660 electronics engineers in the nation (www.bls.gov). These engineers earned a mean annual salary of $92,730.
An electronic engineering degree program concentrates on semiconductor devices, transistors, microprocessors and circuit design. Although communications-related instruction is usually included in all degree program levels, the term 'communications' is typically not in the program title. All programs combine lecture and lab coursework.
Certificates in the field of electronic engineering technology are available, and typically require the completion of approximately eight classes. Coursework begins with circuits and electronics, and generally includes lab courses.
Associate's Degree Programs
Students pursuing an Associate of Science in Electronic Engineering Technology generally complete their studies in two years. Their curriculum covers topics such as circuits, technology physics and microprocessors. Students also learn about circuit design fundamentals, voltage basics, transistor use and semiconductor devices.
Bachelor's Degree Programs
Individuals who wish to earn a Bachelor of Science in Electronic Engineering study how to solve circuit problems and test circuits using computers and mathematical equations. Coursework in these 4-year programs covers subjects like electronic devices, digital circuits, control systems, microprocessor applications, circuit theory, computer programming and microcontrollers.
Master's Degree Program
Master's degree programs in electronics engineering may allow students to concentrate on communications. The core curriculum includes coursework in electronics systems, communications systems engineering and microcontrollers. Communications-specific classes include digital signal processing, digital communications and communications networks.
Related to Career Information for a Degree in Electronic Communications Engineering
- Recently Updated
Communications Technology Degree: Top School for a Career in Electronic Communications Engineering - San Bernardino, CA
The University of California - Riverside is home to over 20,000 students yearly. Those interested in pursuing a career...
At the associate's degree level, electronic engineering training is typically offered as part of an electronic...
Programs in electronic communications - also called telecommunications or electromagnetic communications technology -...
Communications Technology Classes: Top College with Programs in Communications Engineering Technology - Westminster, CO
The University of Denver is located in Colorado's capital city, about 15 miles south of Westminster, CO. Designated by...
- Associate of Electronic Engineering Technology: Degree Overview
- Electronic Communications Degree: Top School with a Communications Technology Program - Spokane, WA
- Communications Engineer: Information About a Career in Communication Engineering
- Best School for Global Management and International Business Degrees - Houston, TX
- Top School for an MBA in Accounting - Kansas City, MO
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Human Resource Management - Irvine, CA
- Top Ranked University with an Information Technology Major - San Francisco, CA
- Electronic Communications Technician: Job Description and Information About a Career in the Electronic Communication
- Electronic Communication Engineering Education Program Info
- Top Healthcare Management Degree Programs - Kansas City, MO
- Top Electronics and Electrical Engineering Technologies Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Top Pharmacy Technician Degree Program - Jacksonville, FL