Catering and Banquet Operations: Coursework Overview
Catering and banquet operations courses are available through certificate, associate's degree and bachelor's degree programs in culinary or hospitality management. Most programs require coursework in communications, hospitality law and marketing. Internships in the food service industry are generally required.
List of Common Courses
Hospitality Management Course
This course introduces history and trends in the hospitality industry. Topics such as customer service, organizational structures and cultural styles are explained, and career opportunities within the hospitality industry might be reviewed. Advanced courses might cover resort management, front office operations and facilities management.
Culinary Arts Course
This class teaches food preparation skills and techniques. Students learn to prepare soups and sauces, entrées and desserts in large commercial kitchen settings. Kitchen tools and design, menu development and management of service and culinary personnel are introduced and practiced. Dining room and banquet operations, service standards and sales promotion also might be covered.
Catering and Garde Manger Course
Garde manger courses cover the preparation and presentation of foods, generally for catering and banquet events. Preparation of aspics, terrines, hors d'oeuvres and mousses is taught and practiced. Students learn about buffet timing and layout, table arrangement, menu planning and use of non-edible food displays, such as ice sculptures. Management aspects including staffing, licensing and equipment needs, as well as pricing and marketing, also might be covered.
Food and Beverage Sales and Service Course
This course examines various aspects of food and beverage service operations. Specific catering and banquet operations topics include pricing strategies, menu design, public food preferences and scaling of recipes. This course also covers dining room management, wine types and service, wait service techniques and cost control.
Food Service and Sanitation Course
This required course covers fundamentals of safe and sanitary food service. Federal, state and local requirements are explained, along with proper procedures for food purchase, storage, preparation and re-heating. This course could prepare students to take licensing exams or fulfill licensing requirements.
Basic concepts of accounting, including bookkeeping, the accounting cycle and the production of financial reports, are covered in this course. Use and analysis of accounting reports are explored as they relate to service businesses. Students are taught to use accounting data to make informed decisions and keep track of costs associated with doing business.
Related to Catering and Banquet Operations: Coursework Overview
- Recently Updated
Careers in banquet operations focus on events that are held for groups which involve the serving and preparation of...
The services of an operations clerk are employed in many different industries. As an operations clerk, the individual...
Many young adults around the world dream of attending a college or university in the U.S. The Education Insider looks...
Operations assistants perform administrative duties and other functions that help streamline the daily business...
- Airfield Operations Specialist: Job Description, Duties and Salary
- Landscape Operations Manager: Job Description and Requirements
- Be an Operations Research Analyst: Education and Career Roadmap
- Top University for Degrees in Human Resource Management - Houston, TX
- Top Ranked University with CAD Drafting and Design Technology Degrees - Kansas City, MO
- Top Ranked University with an International Business Program - San Francisco, CA
- Top Ranked University for a Degree in Computer Drafting and Graphic Design - Henderson, NV
- Hotel Catering Sales Coordinator: Education and Career Information
- Fleet Operations Manager: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Top University for a Degree in Nursing - Birmingham, AL
- Top University with Business Degree Programs - Jacksonville, FL
- Top University with a Human Resource Management Degree Program - Long Beach, CA