Computer Installation and Repair Training and Education Programs
Learn about computer installation and repair certificate programs. Get information on courses, possible career titles and continuing education options to make an informed decision about your education.
Certificate Programs in Computer Repair
Programs that address both installation and repair in the title may not be available, but computer repair certificate programs commonly offer study in installation, as well as related subjects like computer networks. In some cases, repair certificate programs may focus specifically on preparing students for a particular industry certification, such as CompTIA A+ certification. These programs typically take about 1-2 semesters to complete and generally require that an applicant holds at least a high school diploma or the equivalent to gain admission.
In addition to coursework that could prepare students for certification, courses typically cover various elements of computer technology, as well as the skills and knowledge necessary to operate and maintain them. Possible course topics in a certificate program could include:
- Computer repair, maintenance and troubleshooting
- Operating systems
- Software management
- Information security
Popular Career Options
After completing a postsecondary computer repair certificate program, graduates can be prepared to enter various entry-level positions in professional settings where computer technology is frequently used and needs to be maintained. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), a college education may not be necessary for some repair positions, but is typically preferred. The BLS also states that some college experience is typically mandatory for computer support specialist positions (www.bls.gov). Some possible career titles could include:
- Computer repair technician
- Help desk technicians
- Field service technician
Continuing Education and Certification Information
For some positions in computer support, an associate or bachelor's degree in a relevant field of study, such as computer information technology, information science, computer science or computer engineering may be preferred by employers. These programs are widely available and typically move beyond concepts of repair and installation into more complex concepts in the design and implementation of computer technology. In some cases, students can transfer credits earned through certificate programs to these more advanced programs.
Industry certification is commonly preferred by employers and can be obtained by computer repair professionals to advance their careers. Certification is typically available through product and software vendors, such as CompTIA, Microsoft, and a variety of others.
Related to Computer Installation and Repair Training and Education Programs
- Recently Updated
Computer installation and repair is a vital skill in just about every organization in the country. Those with a degree...
Computer Installation Technician: Career Information for Students Interested in Installing Computer Software and Components
Most Computer Installation Technicians have a bachelor degree in a field related to computer technology, but some jobs...
Computer network technicians are responsible for maintaining and repairing computer network systems for a business or...
Computer and digital forensics specialists analyze computers and other digital or binary storage modes to find legal...
- Computer Analysis Education and Training Program Summaries
- 5 Ways Students Can Avoid Computer Distraction During Lecture
- Is Working on Your Computer Hurting Your Productivity?
- Best School for Computer Networking and Telecommunications - Kansas City, MO
- Top School for Business Degree Programs - Columbus, OH
- Top Psychology Master's Degree Programs - San Francisco, CA
- Top Degrees for Multimedia and Computer Graphics Design - Phoenix, AZ
- Mac Vs. PC: The Best Computer for Students
- From the Classroom to Your Computer: A Conversation with Curt Newton of MIT OCW
- Top Ranked Graphic Design and Animation Degree Programs - New York, NY
- Top Ranked Business Marketing Degree Program - Houston, TX
- Best School for a Degree in Computer Networking - Fort Lauderdale, FL