Computer Support Technician: Job Description and Requirements
The computer support technician wears many hats. Responsibilities include troubleshooting, answering employees' technical questions and providing general technical support. Often, the computer support technician serves as a company's main authority for employees regarding their personal computer and related peripheral equipment.
The computer support technician makes sure a company's computer equipment is configured to conform to established guidelines. He or she maintains all terminals and peripherals including printers, modems, personal computers and data communications machines. Responsible for locating and ascertaining the nature of network errors using appropriate software, the computer support technician is in charge of troubleshooting. Along with these duties, he or she fixes and replaces equipment when it is down. The position often requires the individual to be the authority on repairing equipment malfunctions and supplying necessary technical support. The job also entails keeping all computer supplies handy and available. In some cases, the computer support technician monitors compliance with the company's policy on end-users' network use.
Requirements for the Position
This position demands at least a high school diploma, but often a college degree is required. Excellent computer skills are necessary as well as the ability to solve problems and troubleshoot. Customer service experience is usually required. The computer support technician should have strong communication skills and be able to converse with and support those employees who are not technologically proficient.
The position also requires knowledge of basic hardware and software functions and networking. If the computer support technician works in a call center, he or she should be able to type quickly and have the writing skills to enter the data in the job ticket correctly. Organizational skills are essential.
Familiarity with both the MacIntosh and personal computer is also a requirement. The computer support technician should be motivated with a mind attuned to detail. People who wish to become computer support technicians should be willing to accept responsibility and be dependable. Knowledge of different versions of Microsoft, including WinXP through Vista and Windows 7 is also essential.
Related to Computer Support Technician: Job Description and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Personal Computer Support Technician: Information About Becoming a Personal Computer Support Technician
Personal computer support technicians perform a wide range of tasks, from clarifying simple concepts for naive users...
At some point in the last decade, computers - laptops especially - have become a part of the classroom experience as...
Computers have revolutionized the way students work - but that's not 100% a good thing. With the allure of the...
Mac vs. PC: it's a debate that rages indefinitely on tech blogs and geek-centric online communities. The truth is that...
- Computer Literacy in the Workforce
- What Classes Will a Computer Studies Major Take?
- Where to Find Free Apple Computer Courses, Seminars and Tutorials
- Top Ranked Degree Programs in Biomedical Engineering - Houston, TX
- Top Master's Degree Programs in Public Administration - Chicago, IL
- 40 Places for College Students to Find Free Unabridged Books Online
- Top Computer Information Technology Degrees - Phoenix, AZ
- Computer Courses: Common Adult School Courses in Computers
- Top Schools for Computer and Information Services
- Software Engineers: Job Duties and Requirements for Becoming a Software Engineer
- Audio Communications Technician: Job Description and Information About a Career in Audio Communications
- Top Ranked University for a Business Administration Degree - Los Angeles, CA