Cosmetic Laser Technician Training and Education Program Information
Cosmetic laser technicians may need aesthetic technician training of various levels, due to state-specific licensing requirements. Aesthetic laser technician educational programs are available that provide necessary skills and meet certification requirements.
Aesthetic Laser Technician Training and Certification
Aesthetic laser technician programs require didactic and practical education, typically totaling 100 hours depending on state requirements. Programs train students in laser hair removal and skin health techniques through classroom instruction on skin pathology, anatomy and interactions. Students receive hands-on training working directly with the laser to remove hair or treat skin conditions such as veins or age spots. Some states do not have approved training in laser techniques and are awaiting state review. Individuals should check their state's requirement status before entering an aesthetic laser technician program.
Many of these programs are considered continuing education for cosmetologists, barbers, doctors, nurse practitioners, dermatologists, physician assistants and other health or beauty professionals. Most states also require a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) test score.
The coursework prepares students for certification through discussions on anatomy and histology of skin and laser biophysics. Students are also instructed on tissue and laser interactions, as well as safety precautions. Other topics covered include:
- Hair removal
- Skin tightening
- Wrinkle reduction
- Healthy skin
- Laser technology
- Vein treatments
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
Due to an increased demand in medical wellness programs and skin treatments, employment for estheticians is expected to increase by almost 38% from 2008-2018 reported the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS also reported that the median hourly wage for skin care specialists was $13.74 in May 2009 (www.bls.gov).
Continuing Education Information
Continuing education is available to cosmetologists trained in skin care and estheticians. It is normally a requirement to maintain licensure. Health care specialists trained in laser procedures may also complete certificate or degree programs to gain advanced experience in the field of skin care.
Related to Cosmetic Laser Technician Training and Education Program Information
- Recently Updated
A Cosmetic Laser Technician typically works in a medical spa using laser therapy for hair removal, skin tightening and...
Lasers are optical devices used in a variety of industries such as medicine, entertainment and metal working....
Laser technology continues to play a crucial role in the medical field, especially in surgical operations. In...
Allergy technicians are medical assistants who help allergists with skin tests, patient interaction and other...
- Pathology Technician Training and Education Program Information
- Cardiac Monitor Technician Training and Education Program Information
- Prosthetic Technician Training and Education Program Information
- Top Master's Degree Programs in Public Administration - Chicago, IL
- Top School for a Multimedia and Information Technology Degree - Jacksonville, FL
- Top University for Degrees in Human Resource Management - Houston, TX
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Architectural Design - Anaheim, CA
- Ophthalmic Laser Technician: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Dietary Technician Training Program Information
- 10 Ways for New College Graduates to Gain Job Experience
- Top School with a Degree in Psychology - Seattle, WA
- Top School with Degrees in Computer Networking and Telecommunications - Madison, WI