Crime Prevention Officer Certification and Certificate Program Info
Crime prevention certification and certificate programs are ideal for law enforcement and security professionals who want to gain knowledge and skills in preventing crime. One such certificate program in the field is a crime prevention specialist certificate.
Crime Prevention Specialist Certificate
Law enforcement officers and security managers are trained to detect crime and track down criminals. However, some professionals in the field might choose to enroll in a specialized certificate program to learn how to prevent crime before it occurs. Some 2-year community colleges offer crime prevention certificate programs in partnership with organizations such as the National Crime Prevention Council.
Students enrolled in a crime prevention specialist certificate program learn how to prevent crime through community outreach efforts and education. They also work with retail locations to teach them how to ward off potential robbers and develop commercial loss prevention skills.
Educational prerequisites needed to enroll in a crime prevention specialist certificate program vary from school to school. Some are intended to build upon a previously-gained knowledge of law enforcement, while others are entry-level certificate programs. Most do require incoming students to hold high school diplomas and be at least 18 years of age.
Most certificate and training programs in the field of crime prevention focus on four to five courses related to specific types of crime prevention as well as crime prevention and planning theory. Some examples of classes include:
- Introduction to crime prevention
- Crime prevention surveys
- Business crime prevention
- Community crime prevention
- Planning for crime prevention
Popular Career Options
Crime prevention specialist certificate programs are intended for law enforcement officers and security managers. Some positions in the field that might be open to graduates include:
- Security specialist
- Crime prevention officer
- Criminal investigator
- Crime prevention practitioner
- Security consultant
There is no national certification option available in the field of crime prevention. Each state dictates its own standards for awarding certification to law enforcement officers who have earned training in the field. Some national organizations such as the American Crime Prevention Institute do offer voluntary certification and training seminars for aspiring crime prevention officers and specialists.
Related to Crime Prevention Officer Certification and Certificate Program Info
- Recently Updated
Find out how to become a planning officer. Research the education requirements and learn about the experience you need...
Research the requirements to become a communication officer. Learn about the job description and duties and read the...
Find out how to become a quarantine officer. Research the education and training requirements and learn about the...
Research the requirements to become a SWAT officer. Learn about the job description and read the step-by-step process...
- How to Become an Immigration Officer: Education and Career Roadmap
- Become a Conservation Officer: Education and Career Roadmap
- How to Become a Court Officer: Education and Career Roadmap
- Top Multimedia and Digital Design University Programs - Chicago, IL
- Best School for a Master's in Public Administration Degree - Milwaukee, WI
- Top Ranked University for a Master's Degree in Business Finance - San Francisco, CA
- Top Ranked School for E-Commerce and E-Business Management - Bakersfield, CA
- How to Become an ASPCA Officer: Education and Career Roadmap
- Become a USMC Warrant Officer: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Top Computer Information Systems Degree Programs - Long Beach, CA
- Top Ranked School for Court Reporting - Columbus, OH
- Top University for Visual Communications and Digital Media Design - Los Angeles, CA