Customer Order Clerk: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
Order clerks require no formal education. Learn about the training, job duties and job description as well as salary and job outlook statistics to see if this is the right career for you.
A customer order clerk performs order entries for a specific company. Clerks receive orders via phone, mail, Internet and in-person. Some order clerks work remotely while others work at the company location. The minimum educational requirement to become a customer order clerk is a high school diploma or GED.
|Education Requirements||A high school diploma or equivalent; some college coursework may be helpful|
|Other Requirements||On-the-job training|
|Projected Job Growth (2012-2022)*||2% decline from 2012-2022 (all order clerks)|
|Median Annual Salary (2013)**||$30,110 (all order clerks)|
Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Customer Order Clerk Job Description
A customer order clerk handles all incoming orders and provides the customer with information on a product or service. An order clerk usually works at a register or computer, simultaneously communicating online or on the telephone.
An in-house order clerk may work in a variety of places, from a retail store to a wholesale warehouse. Individuals looking to enter this career should have knowledge of customer service, clerical applications, sales, and marketing. The environment is typically fast-paced and high-energy, and an order clerk must be comfortable juggling a multitude of tasks at the same time.
Customer Order Clerk Duties
A customer order clerk performs a wide variety of duties; see the list below for a list of typical job tasks:
- Checks inventory to make sure requested product is available
- Computes price and any appropriate discounts
- Handles customer complaints
- Prepares contracts and invoices
- Verifies customer information is correct and up-to-date
- Checks customer account for credit and outstanding payments
- Informs customer of shipping date and any possible delays
- Notifies appropriate department of order and shipping date
- Reviews orders for accuracy and completion
- Strives to sell customer additional merchandise
- Files copies of all orders received
Customer Order Clerk Requirements
A customer order clerk must have at least a high school diploma or GED. An applicant with some college coursework or job experience will have a competitive edge in the job market. Accounting and order entry skills are mandatory. An order clerk must be extremely organized and have the ability to multi-task.
A customer order clerk must be detail oriented and accurate in taking orders and filling out reports. Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential. A clerk must be comfortable with redundant work and minute day-to-day variety. Social skills are also vital for a clerk, as they will be in constant communication with others.
Salary and Job Outlook
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that employment of order clerks will likely decline by about three percent during the decade spanning 2012-2022. Order clerks earned a median salary of $30,110 as of 2013, per the BLS, with the highest-paid order clerks earning $47,620 or more per year.
Related to Customer Order Clerk: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Read about the top schools for customer service management. Find information about the program options at three top-notch...
While customer relationship management degree programs are not commonly available, students can find suitable training within a...
Find out how to become a customer service engineer. Research the educational requirements and learn about the experience you...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a customer support manager. Get a quick view of the educational...
- Masters Degree in Customer Service: Program Overview
- BA in Customer Service: Bachelors Degree Program Info
- MBA in Customer Relationship Management: Program Overview
- Environmental Psychology Jobs: Options, Requirements and Outlook
- Top Ranked Graphic Design and Multimedia School - Santa Ana, CA
- Top-Ranked Psychology Bachelor's Degree Program in Salt Lake City
- Top College in Westminster, CO, for Networking Classes