Director of Nursing: Duties, Requirements and Responsibilities
Directors of nursing might require significant formal education. Learn about the degree programs, job duties and licensure to see if this is the right career for you.
Directors of nursing are nurse administrators who work at hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare facilities. Their duties might include supervising the nursing staff and overseeing patient care as well as administrative functions such as record keeping and budgeting. At minimum, they need a diploma, associate's or bachelor's degree in nursing, along with a current state nursing license. Many employers want directors of nursing with master's degrees in nursing or healthcare administration.
|Required Education||Diploma, associate's or bachelor's degree in nursing; master's degree often required|
|License||State nursing license required|
|Projected Job Growth (2012-2022)||23% for medical and health services managers*|
|Median Salary (2013)||$90,940 for medical and health services managers*|
Source: * U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Job Duties for a Director of Nursing
Directors of nursing, also known as nursing directors, are registered nurses (RNs) who wish to assume more responsibility in a managerial capacity. Their duties can include:
- Supervising and reviewing nursing staff
- Overseeing the department budgets
- Reporting to high-level staff members
- Maintaining high standards of care
- Managing patients' data and medical records
- Interacting with doctors, patients and family members
Like other nurses, directors of nursing must be registered. This involves acquiring either an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or a similar diploma. They also must then pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN). Additional licensure requirements vary by state.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) notes that a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or Healthcare Administration might be necessary for today's directors of nursing (www.bls.gov). This is because the scholastic focus in such programs includes leadership training, communication and critical thinking. In addition, there are dual master's degree programs in nursing and health services administration. Organizations such as the American Association of Colleges of Nursing can recommend accredited undergraduate and graduate nursing programs.
Directors of nursing should be caring and empathetic people. Though their position requires much more administrative than clinical duties, they still deal with doctors, administrators, other nurses, orderlies, patients and the general public and therefore should enjoy working with and being around people. Since many nursing directors spent years working as nurses, their medical expertise and experience can be valuable in determining policy and making difficult decisions on certain cases. Possessing strong leadership qualities, being a good judge of character and developing conflict-resolution skills should also prove helpful.
Career and Salary Information
According to the BLS, medical and health service managers, including nursing directors, are projected to see a 23% increase in employment from 2012-2022. The median annual wages for these workers were $90,940 in May 2013.
Related to Director of Nursing: Duties, Requirements and Responsibilities
- Recently Updated
The Student Coalition for Action in Literacy Education (SCALE), based at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,...
The director of operations, known in larger organizations as chief operations officer (COO), oversees the day-to-day activities...
A director of external relations is a communications manager tasked with creating a positive public image for a company or...
Find out how to become a product developer. Research the education and training requirements, and learn about the experience...
- How to Become a Director of Medical Records: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Director of Religious Education: Job Description, Salary and Duties
- Become a Director of Advertising: Career Roadmap
- Top School for a Business Management Degree - Norfolk, VA
- Corporate Tax Accountant: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Computer Security Bachelor Degree Program in Colorado Springs
- Top Public Administration Degree Program - Austin, TX
- Cardiorespiratory Therapist Job Duties and Info for Students Considering a Career in Cardio-Respiratory Therapy
- Collision Repair Technology Courses in Texas
- Industrial Safety Specialist Job Outlook and Requirements for Starting a Career in Industrial Safety
- Battery Technician Job Information for Students Considering a Career in Battery Technology