Elementary Assistant Principal: Job Description and Requirements
Elementary school assistant principals are educational administrators who establish and enforce policies and procedures within the primary grade school system. Competent administrative expertise, strong leadership qualities, and well-developed interpersonal skills are just a few of the abilities a successful elementary school assistant principal must master.
Assistant principals are an integral part of the administrative staff of elementary schools, along with principals, counselors, teachers, librarians and other support staff. Usually assigned to supervise the day-to-day execution of tasks needed to keep an elementary school running smoothly, assistant principals also develop academic programs, hire and train faculty, and attend to executive chores such as budgeting and recordkeeping. Assistant principals also maintain relationships with parents and students, and may represent the school at community and civic events.
Some routine tasks that an elementary school assistant principal could encounter during the course of a school day might be:
- Enforcing disciplinary policy
- Classroom observation
- Collaboration with faculty on performance objectives
- Leading a professional development activity
- Ordering textbooks
- Setting class schedules
The U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that public school elementary assistant principals usually have had some teaching experience and almost all have at least a master's degree in education (www.bls.gov).
Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
There are many 4-year baccalaureate programs in education that offer special emphasis in elementary education. These programs prepare future educators and administrators for the particular needs of students from kindergarten through sixth to eighth grades. Graduates of these programs are well-versed in the psychosocial and learning environment needs of the young student population.
An aspiring elementary school administrator could expect to take courses in:
- Developmental psychology in school-aged children
- Teaching mathematics, social science and language arts
- Classroom management
- Elementary school organizational structure
Once all coursework has been completed, students must complete one semester of supervised student teaching prior to graduation.
Master of Science in Educational Administration
Prospective assistant elementary school principals must also complete a graduate degree in education. A Master of Science in Educational Administration (M.S.Ed.) degree prepares an applicant for an assistant elementary principal position. Designed for educators who want to move into leadership roles, this graduate degree program is usually six semesters long and strives to create ethical, competent and articulate administrators.
Students in a graduate program in educational administration could expect to study topics in:
- Administration and supervision in elementary schools
- School finance and facilities
- Federal and state public policy
- Instructional leadership
According to the BLS, nearly all states require elementary assistant principals to hold state licensure (www.bls.gov). Some states require principals to sit for an exam, and some merely require demonstration of a graduate degree. Renewal of licensure may be required as well; check individual state requirements for details. Private schools are not subject to state requirements on licensing.
Related to Elementary Assistant Principal: Job Description and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Online certification and degree programs are available for experienced teachers who wish to advance into elementary...
Elementary School Principal: Job Info and Requirements for a Career in Elementary School Administration
If you're interested in a career as an Elementary School Principal, you'll need both a bachelor's and a master's...
Assistant principals are responsible for ordering textbooks, handling discipline, hiring teachers, scheduling classes...
Teachers specializing in literacy education for grades K-6 can opt for graduate certificate programs or master's...
- Online Elementary Education Degrees by Program Level
- Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education: Program Overview
- Bachelor of Science in Education: Online Elementary Education Degree
- Top Degree Programs in Electronics - Anaheim, CA
- Top Medical Assisting School - Cincinnati, OH
- Top Graphic Design and Animation Degrees - Jersey City, NJ
- Top Ranked Business School - Atlanta, GA
- Bachelor of Science in Education (BSE): Elementary Teacher Degree Overview
- Masters Degree in Elementary Mathematics Education: Program Overview
- Best School for Learning HVAC Technology - Denver, CO
- Top School for a Degree in International Business - Charlotte, NC
- Best School for a Degree in Criminal Justice - Anaheim, CA