Film School: Top School Offering Degrees in Film and Cinematography - Chicago, Illinois
Columbia College Chicago, located in Chicago, Illinois, is the largest private arts and media college in the United States. Through the Film & Video Department, students can complete a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) relevant to film and cinematography.
Columbia College Chicago
Columbia College Chicago offers more than 120 academic programs to approximately 12,000 students each year, and is home to the largest concentration of creative students in the country, according to the school's official website. In the 2010-2011 school year, the college reports its tuition as $19,140, which is the lowest of all private U.S. arts and media schools. Founded in 1890 as the Columbia School of Oratory, Columbia College Chicago is now comprised of 22 buildings in downtown Chicago.
Programs in the Film & Video Department require students to create their own films in order to learn by experience. The projects are supported by academic coursework, which reflects the student's chosen area of study. Facilities include two soundstages, a lighting catwalk, the Media Production Center and the Film Row Center Theater. The department hosts an annual film festival of student work called The Big Screen.
Film and Cinematography Programs
Bachelor of Arts in Film & Video, Cinematography
Undergraduate students take courses in project development, scriptwriting and image production, and complete a film project within their first year. After completing core courses students can select from a variety of concentration options, including cinematography, as well as create their own unique educational experience. Cinematography students take courses in subjects like lighting, photo theory and color correction, and can choose from electives in subjects like editing and visual effects. Students can use independent projects and internships to supplement academic credit, and are required to develop a professional portfolio of work before leaving Columbia College Chicago.
Master of Fine Arts in Film & Video
The MFA in Film & Video program focuses on film theory, writing and directing, and culminates in the completion of a thesis film. It is designed to prepare students for professional positions in the film industry. Courses in production, directing, film history, editing and screenwriting are included, as well as elective options to increase specialization opportunities.
Related to Film School: Top School Offering Degrees in Film and Cinematography - Chicago, Illinois
- Recently Updated
Cinematography and film production are two important aspects of a successful TV show or film. Individuals who are...
Career choices in the film and television industries abound. Options include technical, creative and managerial...
'Waiting for Superman' is a documentary examining the state of the American public educational system - and it's not a...
Home to more than 31,000 students in downtown Atlanta, Georgia State University hosts six colleges and 250...
- How to Become a Film Critic: Education and Career Roadmap
- Cinematographer: Educational Requirements for a Career in Cinematography
- Film Director: Educational Requirements for Being a Film and Movie Director
- Top Degree Programs in Computer Engineering and Electronics - Chicago, IL
- Top Ranked University for a Business Accounting Degree - Dallas, TX
- Best School for a Public Administration Degree - Miami, FL
- Top Ranked Business Administration and Business Management Degrees - Houston, TX
- Become a Film Critic: Education and Career Roadmap
- Assistant Film Editor: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Accounting and Finance Degree Programs - Phoenix, AZ - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Ranked University for a Business Administration Degree - Los Angeles, CA
- Top Degree Programs for Business Administration - Indianapolis, IN
Perfect School Search
- A - D
- E - N
- N - W
- Nearby States