Global Finance Degree Program Information
Learn about a Master of Science in International Business Finance degree program. Get information on the curriculum in these global finance programs, and explore options for professional certification.
Master's degree programs related to international or global finance are typically offered through the graduate business departments of 4-year universities. Such programs generally take 1-3 years to complete and give students an understanding of how finance-related matters, such as accounting, management and business strategy, can be applied in a global marketplace.
Students learn how cultural factors influence financial decisions in other parts of the world, such as China or the Middle East. They also learn skills that will help them negotiate across language and culture barriers. Individuals interested in establishing a career in global finance should also study the organization and administration of multinational corporations. Many graduates pursue certification from professional finance organizations.
A baccalaureate degree in finance, accounting, management, business administration or a similar subject is the main prerequisite for most graduate programs related to global finance. Most schools require that students submit letters of recommendation, transcripts and a statement of interest declaring why they want to study global finance and international business principles.
Students enrolled in a graduate degree program in global finance take courses emphasizing how regular financial practices work in an international format. Some examples of such courses might include:
- International business principles
- International accounting
- Global finance and financial planning
- Global financial markets
- International business strategy
- Leadership principles
- Ethics in a global marketplace
- Global politics and culture
Employment Prospects and Salary Info
Individuals working in international finance often hold similar position titles as those professionals working strictly with U.S. clients. Some of those titles include:
- Global financial manager
- International financier
- Overseas risk manager
- Multinational bank director
- Corporate credit manager
- Global financial analyst
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), job opportunities for financial analysts were predicted to increase 23% during the 2010-2020 decade, which is faster than the national average of 14%. Professionals in this field earned median annual wages of $76,950 as of 2012, per the BLS.
Various associations offer certification for finance professionals, including those that work in a global or domestic environment. The CFA Institute (also known as The Global Association of Investment Professionals) offers the designation of Chartered Financial Analyst to professionals who complete a series of examinations in the field. The Association for Financial Professionals offers Certified Treasury Professional (CTP) credentials also to those to pass the relevant exam. The CTP certification lasts three years, and recertification requires documented continuing education coursework.
Related to Global Finance Degree Program Information
- Recently Updated
In their annual 'How America Pays for College' survey, Sallie Mae found that families all over the country are opening their...
MBA programs in finance and marketing prepare students for careers in management. Students can choose courses that are tailored...
College students who want to get a head start on their investment portfolios can get started right away. Take a look at some...
Think you are worth more money than your boss is paying you? Learn these steps to get your salary up to par.
- Student Finance Guide: All About Stock Buybacks
- Student Finance: Save the Environment While Saving Money
- Student Finance: Top Investing Mistakes
- Business Counselor: Job Description, Education Requirements & Salary Info
- Top Rated Degree Program in Early Childhood Education - Memphis, TN
- Careers in Internet Technology: Options and Requirements
- Business Systems Analyst: Job Description and Requirements
- Student Finance: Ways to Keep Pet Care Costs Down
- Global Finance & Reporting Career: Job Description & Requirements
- Information Systems Engineer: Salary, Requirements & Career Info
- Graphics Engineer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Braille Transcriber: Job Description, Salary and Requirements