Top-Ranked HR Management Degree in Philadelphia
Many schools in the Philadelphia area have top ranking human resource management programs. Read on to find out more about what these top schools have to offer for human resources management, as well as tuition and degree information.
School and Ranking Information
There are nearly 20 schools within a 25-mile radius of downtown Philadelphia offering degrees in human resource management. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, graduation rates and number of degrees awarded in the field:
- Winner: University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia secured the winning spot for its high national rankings from U.S. News & World Report and its high graduation rate.
- Runner Up #1: Temple University, located in Philadelphia, came in second place for its tuition rates, multiple degree levels and total number of degrees awarded in the field.
- Runner Up #2: Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia secured the second runner up spot for its top-10 regional ranking and top-20 national ranking from U.S. News & World Report and its high level of degree offered in the field.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Pennsylvania||Temple University||Saint Joseph's University|
|Ranking(s)||8th for national universities*, 1st for undergraduate business programs, nationwide*, 3rd for graduate business programs, nationwide*||125th for national universities*, 60th for top public schools, nationwide*, 58th for graduate business programs, nationwide*||8th for regional universities (North)*, 18th for online graduate business programs, nationwide*|
|Location||Philadelphia, PA||Philadelphia, PA||Philadelphia, PA|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$43,738 (undergraduate), $30,108 (graduate)**||$13,596 (in-state, undergraduate), $23,422 (out-of-state, undergraduate); $12,956 (in-state, graduate), $17,888 (out-of-state, graduate)**||$37,830 (undergraduate), $13,740 (graduate)**|
|Human Resource Management Degree Levels Offered||Post-graduate certificate**||Bachelor's and master's degrees**||Master's degrees**|
|Human Resource Management Degrees (all levels) Awarded in 2011-2012||9**||102**||18**|
|Most Popular Human Resource Management Program in 2011-2012||Post-graduate certificate (9 awarded)**||Bachelor's degree (97 awarded)**||Master's degree (18 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||96%**||68%**||76%**|
|Noteworthy||Penn founded by Benjamin Franklin||HRM majors may join on campus Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), Students for Responsible Business, or Student Professional Sales Organizations||Full- or part-time graduate program curriculum aligned with SHRM guidelines|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of Pennsylvania
- Penn's faulty includes recipients of the Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prize, MacArthur Award and National Medal of Science awards
- Ranked 13th among best value schools in 2013 by U.S. News & World Report
- Penn has an overall student-faculty ratio of 6:1, according to the NCES
The Wharton School, founded in 1881, is recognized as the world's first postsecondary business school. Wharton's management department has faculty members that have been honored with the Excellence in Teaching and the Owens Scholarly Achievement awards. The management department further offers an MBA in Human Resource and Organizational Management. The program allows its students to investigate and understand the various responsibilities of HR managers, including recruiting employees, training those employees and increasing employee morale and performance. The curriculum comprises employee management theories; strategies to improve employee motivation; and work performance assessment tools. Elective offerings cover teamwork, corporate leadership, negotiating, entrepreneurship, human asset strategic management and organizational change management.
Wharton's PhD program in Management allows student to specialize in HRM. Students can tap faculty research into HR and competitiveness, and use this to enhance their projects. Recent research placements have been at noted institutions, including New York University, University of Maryland, University of Michigan and the University of Texas.
Runner-Up #1: Temple University
- Only one of three profiled schools to offer HRM undergraduate programs
- Temple had a 67% acceptance rate for 2012-2013, according to NCES figures
- HR graduate degree program is designed for full-time working students to complete the program through part-time, evening courses
The Fox School of Business at Temple University, through its Department of HRM, offers a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in HRM, an MS in HRM, an MBA with an HRM concentration, a graduate certificate in HRM, and a Ph.D. program in organization and human resources. The 124-credit BBA program has curriculum that includes courses covering compensation management, HRM and public policy, leading people at work, and labor relations; these courses prepare students to recruit, manage, and retain human capital. Temple desires its HRM students to network with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the world's largest HRM association. Program core curriculum of the MS in HRM includes HRM strategies; ethical decisions in business; effective organizational communication; and leadership development. The program's capstone project includes coursework in strategic challenges in HRM. Continuing education's 12-credit, post-BBA certificate offers students work on strategic HRM issues, with qualified students offered an option to roll the credits to the MS HRM program. Further, the MBA program with its three-course HRM concentration program improves students' skills in functional HR positions. For students interested in research and teaching in HRM and organization can pursue the four or five year Ph.D. program.
Runner-Up #2: Saint Joseph's University
- One of few regional universities to offer advanced HR education with a strategic, business context
- NCES statistics showed that 97% of full-time beginning undergraduates received financial aid in 2011-2012
- NCES noted a graduation rate of 71%, which is second to Penn's 96% among the three profiled schools
SJU's Erivan K. Haub School of Business offers a master's of science (MS) degree program in managing human capital. A minor in managing human capital is also offered. The school offers flexible full- or part-time classes, with SHRM-recommended graduate coursework guidelines. The MS program's general education requirements include different coursework based on students' year of entry and number of transfer credits. The core curriculum has three courses, including introduction to managing human capital; diversity in the workplace, and managing human capital: research and application capstone. Electives offer an internship or a research project. Graduates can expect involvement with organizations having human capital-centric assets.
Related to Top-Ranked HR Management Degree in Philadelphia
- Recently Updated
Four schools in the Westminster, CO, area have top ranking human resources (HR) programs. Read on to find out more about what...
Get information on Master of Human Resource Management degree programs. Learn about education prerequisites, course...
Learn about some of the top schools to offer human resource management programs at graduate level. Learn about the program...
A human resource manager's main function is to recruit, hire and take care of the needs of an organization's employees....
- Human Resource Management Certificate: Program Overview
- Career Information for a Degree in Human Resource Management
- Strategic Human Resource Management Education and Training Programs
- Government Accounting Jobs: Options and Requirements
- Aerospace Structural Engineer: Job Description and Requirements
- Top Degree Programs in Health Information Technology - Portland, OR
- Medical Interpreter: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Master of Human Resource Management (MHRM): Online Degree
- Universities that Offer Master's in Human Resource Management
- Top University in Birmingham for a Master's in Health Administration
- Top Rated Computer Graphics Technology Degree Program - Troy, MI
- Top School in Atlanta Offering Security Professional Training
Perfect School Search
- A - I
- K - R
- S - Y
- Nearby States