Holistic Health Nurse Practitioner Degree Programs
A nurse practitioner is an advanced practice nurse who has earned a master's degree in a particular specialty, such as acute care or geriatric nursing. A Master of Science in Holistic Health Nurse Practitioner can prepare graduates to become nurse practitioners who specialize in holistic or complementary forms of healing.
Master of Science in Holistic Health Nurse Practitioner
Master's degree programs for aspiring holistic health nurse practitioners generally take about two years to complete and include more than 1,000 hours of clinical experience. They often combine traditional adult nurse practitioner training with specific holistic health courses. Students learn how to promote a patient's overall spiritual, physical and mental well-being while also studying advanced practice nursing duties.
Students enrolled in a master's degree program for holistic health nurse practitioners also have opportunities to do further research in the area of holistic nursing and explore teaching opportunities in the field. Graduates are eligible to sit for the Adult Nurse Practitioner Certification exam, offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, as well as the American Holistic Nurses Association certification exam.
Only licensed registered nurses (RNs) are eligible to enroll in a Master of Science in Nursing degree program with a focus on holistic care. Interested students should also submit a resume of clinical experience, college transcripts and letters of recommendation from clinical supervisors.
A master's degree program in holistic nursing includes courses that cover nurse practitioner duties and clinical roles as well as specific holistic practices such as herbology and stress management. Some examples of courses include:
- Theories of advanced practice nursing
- Research in nursing
- Holistic nursing theories
- Advanced pathophysiology
- Stress management in healthcare
- Comprehensive physical assessment
- Integrative medicine
- Holistic primary care of adults
- Holistic primary care clinical practicum
- Advanced holistic assessment
Popular Career Options
Advanced practice nurse practitioners with a specialization in holistic health can find employment in a variety of organizations. Some of these include:
- General hospitals
- Private clinics
- Physicians' offices
- Health policy development departments
- Home health agencies
The American Holistic Nurses Association directs nurse practitioners to gain certification through the American Holistic Nurses Certification Corporation (AHNCC). The organization offers three credentials, including Holistic Nurse, Board Certified (HN-BC), Advanced Holistic Nurse, Board Certified (AHN-BC) and Holistic Baccalaureate Nurse, Board Certified (HBN-BC).
Related to Holistic Health Nurse Practitioner Degree Programs
- Recently Updated
Learn how to become a nurse practitioner. Research the education requirements, training and licensure information and...
An individual interested in enrolling in a holistic health practitioner certificate program can find similar or...
Learn how to become a holistic health practitioner. Research the education requirements, training, licensure...
Occupational health nurse practitioners treat work-related injuries and educate employees on the benefits of a safe...
- Certified Holistic Health Counselor: Job Duties and Requirements
- Animal Holistic Health Degree and Training Program Options
- Holistic Health Educator: Job Description, Salary and Requirements
- Top Accounting and Financial Management University - Indianapolis, IN
- Top School for a Mental Health Counseling Degree - Phoenix, AZ
- Top University for Video Game Design and Development - Chicago, IL
- Top Electronics and Electrical Engineering Technologies Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Certification and Degree Programs
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN): Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Degree Overview
- Top Ranked Criminal Justice Degree Program - Indianapolis, IN
- Top University with a Human Resource Management Degree Program - Long Beach, CA
- Top Ranked University for a Master's Degree in Business Finance - San Francisco, CA