How to Become a Certified Yoga Instructor
Find out how to become a certified yoga instructor. Research the training requirements and learn about the experience needed to advance your career in yoga instruction.
Requirements for Yoga Instructors
Yoga instructors guide students in yoga practice; they help students learn poses and use the correct forms of each. Yoga instructors may also provide guidance in yogic philosophy as well as areas complementary to yoga, such as nutrition and meditation. Professionals in this field teach group classes, workshops or one-on-one classes at yoga studios, fitness centers and related facilities.
Most aspiring instructors gain their skills through yoga teacher training programs. Certification isn't required, but many employers prefer teachers who are registered with the Yoga Alliance. The following table contains the core requirements for yoga instructors:
|Degree Level||Most teachers complete short-term postsecondary training programs**; associate's or bachelor's degrees in a fitness or health field may be helpful*|
|Degree Field||Yoga teacher training; exercise science or kinesiology*|
|Certification or Registration||Optional, but preferred by employers**|
|Experience||None for some entry-level positions, but many employers look for instructors with 1-5 years of experience**|
|Key Skills||Strong speaking and communication skills, motivational skills*|
|Additional Requirements||CPR certification**|
Sources: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, **Job postings (August 2012).
Step 1: Learn Yoga
Aspiring instructors should take courses in varying types of yoga to understand which style works best for them. Different types of yoga include:
In addition, the style of instruction may vary by facility and teacher. Aspiring yoga teachers should pay attention to these differences in order to find the type of training that fits them best.
- Find a mentor. A mentor can help aspiring teachers learn about various teaching techniques and styles of yoga. In addition, mentors can help aspiring yoga teachers decide which training program is most suitable.
Step 2: Complete a Teacher Training Course
Yoga teacher training includes coursework in anatomy and physiology, instructional techniques and yoga philosophy. Students gain hands-on experience by observing teachers and teaching classes themselves. Many schools adhere to the guidelines set by Yoga Alliance for 200-hour and 500-hour teacher training programs.
- Network with teachers and peers. Yoga teacher training does not guarantee a job. Students are advised to network with classmates and faculty while in school.
- Know your market. Competition among yoga teachers is strong in some areas. Aspiring instructors may consider a unique approach to distinguish themselves from other teachers. For example, depending on the market, teachers can offer yoga tailored to golfers and other types of athletes.
- Become certified in CPR. Most health and fitness centers require that instructors have the skills to deal with a health emergency by being certified in CPR. Students can take a CPR course while enrolled in a teacher training program.
Step 3: Get Registered
Students who complete programs that meet the guidelines set by Yoga Alliance can apply for the organization's Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) credential. Registration is voluntary, but many employers prefer credentialed instructors.
Step 4: Earn Continuing Education Credits
Most professionals in this field attend workshops and seminars to keep their knowledge up to date. Teachers registered with the Yoga Alliance are required to complete 75 hours of continuing education every three years. This includes teaching yoga for 45 hours and attending additional classes for 30 hours. RYTs who meet certain experience and education requirements can pursue advanced credentials.
Related to How to Become a Certified Yoga Instructor
- Recently Updated
Yoga instructors are fitness professionals who teach yoga, the low-impact exercise that uses controlled postures and breathing...
A driver's education instructor imparts knowledge of defensive driving skills, state driving laws, accident causality and...
Several private yoga centers offer yoga teacher training programs composed of on-site and distance education. Graduates may...
Find out how to become an IV instructor. Research the education requirements and learn about the experience you need to advance...
- Diploma in Body Therapy: Program Overview
- Cosmetology Instructor License and Credential Information
- How to Become a Tennis Instructor
- Career Information for a Degree in Graphic Communications
- Video Game Programmer: Career Info for Becoming a Video Game Programmer
- Pomologist: Job Description, Duties, Outlook and Salary
- Instructional Leadership Degree and Certificate Program Overviews