How to Become a Fashion Journalist: Education and Career Roadmap
Research the requirements to become a fashion journalist. Learn about the job description and read the step-by-step process to start a career in fashion journalism.
Fashion Journalist Requirements
Fashion journalists write about clothing and accessories for newspapers, magazines and websites. They may attend fashion shows and study designer and celebrity fashions to pinpoint trends. People in this position typically possess a bachelor's degree, journalism experience and fashion industry knowledge. The following table outlines the core requirements for fashion journalists, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
|Degree Level||Bachelor's degree|
|Degree Fields||Journalism, English, communication or a fashion-related field|
|Experience||Several years of journalism or fashion experience|
|Key Skills||Excellent written and oral communication, people-oriented disposition|
|Computer Skills||Familiarity with Microsoft Office, blogging, social media and online publishing|
|Additional Requirements||Ability to work long hours, nights and weekends|
Step 1: Earn a Bachelor's Degree
Students can pursue a degree in journalism, English or communication to hone their writing skills. A fashion-related degree program may also be acceptable. Some schools offer programs in fashion communication, which cover print writing and editing, photography, marketing and fashion analysis. Undergraduates can gain a solid understanding of fashion journalism by taking courses in reporting, research, fashion writing, fashion trends, art and product forecasting.
- Gain practical experience. Internships at print or online publications offer aspiring journalists an inside look at all aspects of the publishing industry, from marketing to editorial decisions to production. Fashion journalists are typically expected to have completed an internship or obtained other publishing experience before starting an entry-level job. Other options include interning at a fashion house or writing a fashion column for a college newspaper.
- Develop online skills. Like most journalists, fashion writers are increasingly being asked to upload content to publication websites and promote material through social media. Students can use their time in school to learn basic online publishing and social networking skills.
Step 2: Gain Work Experience
Fashion journalism is a competitive field, so candidates may need to start their careers as general assignment reporters or write about other topics. Aspiring fashion journalists can make connections with public relations professionals, designers and stylists to get breaking fashion news. They can also build up their confidence in approaching people, asking questions and getting inside tips on emerging trends and markets. Writers who are starting out in the industry may choose to freelance for a variety of fashion-based publications.
- Develop a distinct style. Fashion journalists can gain further experience and strengthen their skills by creating a fashion blog. This allows journalists to experiment with style and tone and to develop a unique voice that may appeal to editors. Writers can use these clips and other published articles to create portfolios that best showcase their talent and fashion knowledge.
- Stay on top of fashion news. Fashion is a rapidly changing industry, so candidates must stay up to date on designers, textiles, accessories and new technologies. Journalists may regularly read fashion magazines, trade publications and blogs to discover what's happening in stores and on runways around the world.
Related to How to Become a Fashion Journalist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Recently Updated
Journalism school provides a broad theoretical foundation in news reporting and teaches students skills used by professional...
A Victorian Fantasy: Education-Portal.com Speaks with the Organizer of the Albright College Victorian Fashion Ball
Each year, fashion design students at Albright College in Pennsylvania host a Victorian Fashion Ball featuring 19th century...
For students looking for a Ph.D. program related to fashion, a program in apparel design is a suitable option. This program...
In the world of fashion, concepts need to be conveyed through drawings and illustrations. Fashion illustrators, also known as...
- Top Fashion Marketing Schools and Colleges in the U.S.
- Online Fashion Marketing Courses and Classes Overview
- List of Free Online Fashion Design Courses, Classes and Learning Materials
- Associate Degree in Audiology
- Mechatronics Degree and Certificate Program Information
- How to Choose a School with Echocardiogram Technician Programs
- 3-Dimensional Artist Career Profile