How to Become a Fundraising Consultant: Step-by-Step Career Guide
Research the requirements to become a fundraising consultant. Learn about the job description and read the step-by-step process to start a career in fundraising consulting.
Fundraising Consultant Requirements
Fundraising consultants develop and coordinate activities to secure funds for a project or organization. They often work with nonprofit or charitable organizations and may be independent contractors or employees of a consulting or public relations firm. Consultants typically have a bachelor's degree and several years of fundraising experience. The following table outlines the core requirements for fundraising consultants according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
|Degree Level||Bachelor's degree|
|Degree Fields||Common majors are marketing, public relations and English|
|Experience||Several years of experience in fundraising and development|
|Key Skills||Excellent written and oral communication skills, outgoing and people-oriented personality, strong listening ability|
|Computer Skills||Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and database software|
|Additional Requirements||Ability to develop relationships with donors|
Step 1: Complete a Bachelor's Degree Program
Students may pursue a bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, English or another related field. Many schools also offer fundraising courses, which cover regulations and laws for soliciting funds, strategies for running successful fundraising efforts and effective ways to research and apply for foundation and government grants. Some fundraisers, particularly those who plan to work with large donations, may obtain an advanced degree in law or finance to help donors receive the greatest tax benefit from their donations.
- Consider an internship. Students can learn more about the position through fundraising internships. Duties may include researching possible donors, drafting proposals and thank you letters, developing special programs and assisting with fundraising events. Other options include volunteering for donor drives at nonprofit organizations or conducting fundraising for campus groups.
Step 2: Gain Work Experience
Establishing a track record of success is important for fundraisers. Prospective consultants often start out in the development department of nonprofit organizations, where they may maintain donor databases, write grant proposals and organize fundraising activities. Consultants can learn to communicate with individuals of different economic statuses and interests by helping to plan and lead fundraising initiatives that reach a variety of donor types.
- Join a professional organization. Groups like the Association of Fundraising Professionals and the Council for Advancement of Support and Education offer continuing education, networking and fundraising resources for members. Organizations such as CFRE International also provide professional certification, which requires fundraisers to pass a written exam and participate in educational programs.
Related to How to Become a Fundraising Consultant: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Recently Updated
Consultants are paid to share their expertise and knowledge to help businesses attain goals and solve problems. Consulting is a...
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education's latest fundraising index may signal the return of optimism in academia....
Media consultants, also known by other titles like media or communications specialists, generally work in the area of public...
A brand consultant is a marketing strategist who evaluates the way a company presents itself or its products and makes...
- Geology Consultant: Education Requirements and Job Description
- GIS Consultant: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Leasing Consultant Classes and Training Programs
- Why Go To Graduate School and When Does Graduate School Make Sense?
- Medical Microbiology Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- How to Choose a School for an Aspiring Dialysis Technician
- Colleges and Schools for Aspiring Orthodontists: How to Choose