How to Become a Jingle Writer: Education and Career Guide
Learn how to become a jingle writer. Research the education requirements, training information and experience required to start a career in jingle writing.
Jingle Writer Requirements
Jingle writers compose music and lyrics to advertise products or services for companies. They seek to create a highly memorable melody that conveys a positive impression of the particular product or service. While there are no educational requirements to become a jingle writer, earning a degree in music may be beneficial and help improve musical and composing skills. The table below outlines the requirements to become a jingle writer, via the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
|Degree Level||None required, music degree beneficial|
|Experience||Experience playing different instruments, composing music and recording|
|Key Skills||Ability to play and compose music, discipline, perseverance|
|Additional Requirements||Strong interpersonal skills|
Step 1: Develop Broad Musical Skills and Knowledge
Jingle writers are songwriters who write songs that are intentionally brief and designed to market a product or service. Successful jingle writers must know how to play a wide variety of musical instruments and select which sounds and melodies to use for jingles. They also must be familiar with various genres of music in order to best match the tone and atmosphere of a specific company for their advertisements.
- Consider formal education. While practice and personal study can produce tremendous results, training with experienced musicians, studying at a music conservatory or entering a music degree program can greatly benefit all musicians, including jingle writers. Additional courses in business or advertising may also assist a jingle writer's understanding of how to achieve the most profitable results.
Step 2: Create Music
Often the most useful learning tool for jingle writers is to simply begin composing and experimenting with music and sounds. While some jingle writers may begin writing for commercials, many begin their careers with the intention of writing full songs. Once musicians have a library of music, they are able to pitch their ideas to advertising companies.
- Pitch to a local or small business. Local businesses are often a good launch pad for jingle writers. A memorable jingle from a small business advertisement often is the best way for jingle writers to gain recognition and hopefully obtain more profitable opportunities. In addition to pitching to the businesses themselves, consider sending pitches and samples to local ad agencies or television and radio stations.
Step 3: Stay Up-To-Date With Products and Advertising
The rise of digital video recording and Internet music software has shifted many companies' television and radio advertising methods. While jingles have diminished somewhat on the national level, local and regional jingle advertising continues to be profitable. The Internet also provides greater ease of connectivity for businesses and writers worldwide to seek profitable advertising opportunities.
Related to How to Become a Jingle Writer: Education and Career Guide
- Recently Updated
Find out how to become a professional resume writer. Research the education and training requirements and learn about the...
Preparation for becoming an Education Writer typically requires an advanced degree in the specific area of expertise as well as...
Learn how to become a textbook writer. Research the education requirements, training information and experience required for...
Research the requirements to become a professional mystery writer. Learn about the job description and read the step-by-step...
- Proposal Writer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Automotive Collision Estimate Writer: Salary, Duties and Requirements
- Get Inspired! Education Portal Speaks With a Professional Writer
- Forensic Science Specialist: Job Description and Requirements
- Fiber Optic Splicing Jobs: Duties and Requirements
- Canine Bomb Detection Jobs: Career Options and Requirements
- Online Bachelors Degree in Teaching: Program Overviews
- Become a Screenplay Writer: Career Requirements and Info
- Grant Application Writer: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Pre-K Teacher Certification and Certificate Program Information
- Online Urban Planning Degrees: Information by Degree Level
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Online Project Management Degree