How to Become a Medical Equipment Repair Technician
Learn how to become a medical equipment repair technician. Research the job duties and the education requirements and find out how to start a career in medical equipment repair technology.
Medical Equipment Repair Technology Requirements
Medical equipment repair technicians work for hospitals, clinics, wholesale suppliers and electronics repair shops. They perform repairs and maintain medical equipment such as electric wheelchairs, defibrillators, beds and imaging equipment. Technicians use a variety of hand tools, electronic tools and computers to keep the equipment in top working order.
Most employers prefer medical equipment repair technicians to have an associate's degree in biomedical technology or biomedical engineering, while some specialized positions require a bachelor's degree. The following table contains the most common requirements to become a medical equipment repair technician.
|Degree Level||Associate's degree preferred, bachelor's degree required in specialized cases*|
|Degree Field||Biomedical technology or biomedical engineering*|
|Certification||Certification is available through the International Certification Commission for Clinical Engineering and Biomedical Technology (ICC) and is preferred by some employers**|
|Key Skills||Excellent dexterity, mechanical and troubleshooting skills, time-management and stamina*|
|Technical Skills||Safety testing, experience with hand tools and multimeter**|
Sources: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, **CareerBuilder.com job ads (Nov. 2012)
Step 1: Earn an Associate's Degree
A 2-year degree program in biomedical engineering technology can prepare students for an entry-level position as a medical equipment repair technician. Courses typically provide knowledge of equipment operation and function, installation, repair and maintenance techniques and quality regulations. Additionally, a program will include courses covering electronics, mathematics, information sciences and computer networking.
- Consider a bachelor's degree. A 4-year degree program in biomedical engineering technology isn't a requirement for all jobs, but is preferred among employers and required for some advanced or complex repair positions. This degree program provides in-depth information and knowledge of complex medical equipment operation, repairs and maintenance techniques.
- Participate in an internship. Many schools offer internships or programs that provide beneficial experience and possible employment opportunities.
Step 2: Gain Work Experience
Graduates of an associate's or bachelor's degree program can seek an entry-level position with a medical supplier, hospital, clinic or related organization. Some employers provide training or allow new employees to shadow more experienced technicians. After about six months, employees can generally work independently. Higher-level positions may require about two years of related experience.
Step 3: Get Certified
The ICC offers three types of certification for medical equipment repair technicians. The Certified Biomedical Equipment Technician (CBET), Certified Radiology Equipment Specialists (CRES) and Certified Laboratory Equipment Specialist (CLEB) can be earned separately depending on a technician's area of expertise. Each one requires a minimum of an associate's degree in a related field and at least two years of work experience, in addition to a written exam.
Related to How to Become a Medical Equipment Repair Technician
- Recently Updated
Students who want to put their mechanical skills to use in a hospital, lab or clinical setting might want to consider...
People with technical aptitude, a talent for problem solving and the emotional stability to work under pressure are...
Online programs in biomedical technology are available at the associate's and bachelor's degree levels. Although most...
Training for medical equipment repairers is offered through associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs in...
- Medical Diagnostics Equipment Repair Training and Education Programs
- Medical Equipment Repair Courses and Classes Overview
- Medical Equipment Technician Certification, Training and Degree Programs
- Top Ranked Marketing Degree Program - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Degree Programs in Nursing and Nursing Administration - Albuquerque, NM
- Top University with a Psychology Degree - Bakersfield, CA
- Best School for Interior Design Degrees - Chicago, IL
- Become a Material Handling Equipment Repair Technician
- TV and Video Equipment Repair Technician: Career and Education Summary
- Top Ranked University for a Business Accounting Degree - Dallas, TX
- Top Multimedia and Digital Design University Programs - Chicago, IL
- Top Ranked Business School for a Business Administration Degree - New York, NY