How to Become a Television Announcer: Career Roadmap
Research the requirements to become a television announcer. Learn about the job description and duties and read the step-by-step process to start a career in television announcing.
Do I Want to Be a Television Announcer?
Television announcers broadcast information and events such as the weather, sports updates, news reports and traffic alerts. They may also perform interviews, act as commentators and host events. Many times, announcers work in climate-controlled sound studios, often pre-recording their programs. Television announcers might also have to work outside a studio - broadcasting from a live event, for example - which might mean working irregular hours. Job growth in this industry is expected to be far below average, with only a 2% increase between 2012 and 2022, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
In addition to experience, the BLS recommends that applicants have a bachelor's degree in a field such as communications, journalism or broadcasting, which can help distinguish them in this highly competitive industry. Courses in voice control or diction might also be useful. The following table contains the core requirements for becoming a television announcer, per the BLS:
|Degree Level||Bachelor's degree recommended|
|Degree Field||Broadcasting, journalism, communications|
|Experience||Experience at college TV or radio station beneficial; internship provides additional experience|
|Key Skills||Speaking skills, interpersonal skills, writing skills; professional appearance|
|Computer Skills||Experience using industry editing software and an understanding of various software applications|
Step 1: Earn a Bachelor's Degree
Postsecondary institutions offer instruction and training to students who want to pursue careers related to broadcasting. Degree programs in communication studies, journalism and radio and television broadcasting are some of the suitable choices for students who intend to become TV announcers. In addition to learning about broadcasting, creating content and covering stories, students will also learn how to operate studio equipment.
- Develop industry skills. Television announcers are expected to be proficient in public speaking. It is important to improve voice quality, grammatical accuracy, pronunciation, pacing and diction. Excellent writing skills are also an essential trait since announcers often prepare their broadcast content.
Step 2: Complete an Internship
An internship at a local television station or campus broadcast studio is a beneficial step that prospective employers often require. Interns usually perform behind-the-scenes technical tasks such as operating the control panel, producing advertisements and logging program schedules.
Step 3: Apply for a Position
Newcomers in the field are typically employed as reporters, news writers, market research analysts or production assistants. When individuals prove their competence in broadcasting, they may start working as TV announcers. After a few years of employment, announcers may qualify to work in major cities and prestigious television stations.
- Join professional associations. Aspiring television announcers may want to consider joining the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) and the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA). These organizations offer various membership benefits including access to industry resources, tools, trends, conventions and other avenues for professional training.
Related to How to Become a Television Announcer: Career Roadmap
- Recently Updated
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a professional football announcer. Get a quick view of the...
Television advertising can be an effective way for companies to inform consumers about their products. Job options in the field...
Lexington, KY, has few schools with degree programs in radio and television broadcasting. Find the best program for you by...
Learn how to become a cable television (CATV) technician. Research the education requirements, training information and...
- TV & Computer Monitor Repair Technician: Educational Requirements
- Online Courses for Television and Digital Media Production
- Stars and Scholars: Mayim Bialik
- Top School in Greensboro, NC, with Multimedia Degree Programs
- What Education Do I Need to Become a Clothing Designer?
- Top Rated Computer Networking School - Lexington, KY
- Career Information for a Degree in Biomedical Technologies