How to Become a Wellness Coach: Career Roadmap
Learn how to become a wellness coach. Research the education, training information and experience required for starting a career in wellness coaching.
Do I Want to Be a Wellness Coach?
Wellness coaches provide individualized attention to clients to help them discover their goals and develop healthy habits. Wellness coaches can be self-employed or work for healthcare and fitness organizations. Self-employed individuals may spend a significant amount of time seeking new clients and might meet with current customers during evening or weekend hours to meet their scheduling needs.
Although wellness coaches can open up their own business with little training, healthcare employers generally require a bachelor's degree. Individuals with training in social work, counseling or psychology possess the training and skills applicable to the role of a wellness coach. In addition, wellness coaches may also have training in fitness and nutrition. The following table contains the main qualifications that employers listed in job postings for wellness coaches during November 2012:
|Degree Level||None required, bachelor's degree often preferred|
|Degree Field||Counseling, psychology, health promotion or related field|
|Certification||Wellcoaches certification may be preferred|
|Experience||None required with degree|
|Key Skills||Verbal and written communication skills|
Step 1 - Earn a Degree
Wellness coaching is a relatively new field and it is hard to find undergraduate programs in this specific area. However, some schools offer a minor in wellness coaching. With this minor, individuals will take courses in psychology, nutrition and fitness. Students may also have the opportunity to complete an internship. Aspiring wellness coaches can learn applicable techniques earning an undergraduate degree in social work or behavioral science as well. With a degree in counseling, individuals will learn the communication skills necessary to help clients identify their values, goals, obstacles and challenges.
- Choose applicable electives. Students may have to choose electives that help them obtain skills necessary for a wellness coaching position. For example, individuals pursuing a degree in behavioral science may choose electives related to health and fitness, such as nutrition and exercise science.
Step 2 - Gain Experience
Wellness coaches can find some entry-level positions that do not require a bachelor's degree. They can gain experience working one-on-one or in small groups and begin to build a reputation and client base. In an entry-level position, wellness coaches can develop communication skills necessary to engage and inspire clients. Some organizations may also provide training for wellness coaches.
Step 3 - Become Certified
Employers may prefer that wellness coaches are certified by the Wellcoaches, a training program that is endorsed by the American College of Sports Medicine. Individuals will undergo a 13-week training program to earn certification. Additional criteria for certification includes an oral assessment and written exam, proof of clients and submission of goals. Wellness coaches will be required to renew their certification every three years.
- Complete continuing education courses. Organizations, such as the Wellcoaches School of Coaching, offer continuing education opportunities through workshops, live classes and webinars. This can help wellness coaches stay current with trends in related industries, including wellness and health, as well as keep their certification current.
Related to How to Become a Wellness Coach: Career Roadmap
- Recently Updated
An instructional coach, also known as an instructional coordinator or curriculum development specialist, is a school...
A dance coach is a leader and mentor for competitive dancers, often with a high school, college, or private troupe. He or she...
Free online courses related to coaching are offered by real schools. Learn which coaching courses are available, what topics...
If you're looking for a job, you know the competition is tough. A good career coach can give you the edge you need to land a...
- Become a Parenting Coach: Education and Career Roadmap
- Speaking Coach: Job Description, Salary and Career Outlook
- How to Become a Football Coach: Education and Career Roadmap
- Online Homeopathy Schools: How to Choose
- Study Global Issues: Education Program Options
- List of Online Business Workshops and Seminars
- Chinese Philosophy Degree and Certificate Program Information