Importance of a Masters Degree: How Will IT Help My Career?
A master's degree is often necessary to land certain jobs or for career advancement within some fields. Many careers that require master's degrees are typically found in sectors such as research and academia. Professionals with a master's degree often benefit from higher pay and increased job responsibilities.
How Master's Degrees Are Important for Career Opportunities
What Can I Achieve with a Master's Degree?
A master's degree can open many career doors, including certain career fields, advancement opportunities and higher salaries. Careers that may require a master's degree include special education teacher or counselor, college professor, advanced practice nurse, school administrator, occupational therapist and speech-language pathologist.
Career Advancement Opportunities
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) also noted that careers that require a master's degree to enter the field are projected to see the most job growth from 2012-2022. Advancement opportunities can include moving into managerial or administrative positions and obtaining licensure and certification. For example, according to the BLS, school principals working in a public setting can be licensed as school administrators. Most states require a master's degree to obtain this designation.
According to U.S. News & World Report, workers with master's degrees generally earn higher salaries than workers with less education. The following is a sample of median salaries for careers that require a master's degree, as provided by the BLS in 2013:
- Nurse Practitioner - $92,270
- Education Administrator - $88,380
- Occupational Therapist - $76,940
- Physician Assistant - $92,970
- Speech-Language Pathologist - $70,810
Related to Importance of a Masters Degree: How Will IT Help My Career?
- Recently Updated
Learn about two leading engineering and communications schools that offer master's programs in telecommunications. Find out...
Discover the top universities providing nutrition master's degree programs across the nation. See school rankings, program...
Learn more about what to expect in a master's degree program in computing and information science. Discover what courses...
Learn about the best graduate schools for earning a master's degree in teaching. See details about school rankings and program...
- Masters in Community Counseling: Program Information
- Masters in Computer Education: Program Information
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Sports Management?
- Auto Estimator Jobs: Career Options, Requirements and Duties
- Career Information for a Degree in General Psychology
- Top College in Augusta, GA, for Human Resources Classes
- Top University in Arlington, VA, for a Public Administration Master's
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Special Education?
- Masters Certificate in Business Marketing: Program Overview
- Salary and Career Info for a Basic X-Ray Machine Operator
- Data Communications Analyst: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Career and Salary Info for a Masters in School Administration